New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first snowbooard. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. I've went snowboarding before and I loved it. Id be doing mostly park riding. I was more than likely going to get a 159 160 cm board. I was looking at the GNU Carbon Credit and the Never Summer EVO.

Thanks Jake
jlang95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you have a size 10.5 boot or larger, make sure you go for at least a mid-wide board... Not a problem if all you ride is pow, but if you ever plan on making any kind of nice, belly scratching turns on hard pack... toe drag could be a problem. I'm 6'3" and 180 riding a 161.5 Lib Tech T. Rice pro... I ride size 11s and even with Burton's shrinkage tech I would have too much drag for my type of riding on a board under ~ 26.0 cm wide... The NS Revolver is just a wider version of the Evo so you might want to check that out if larger boots are what you're rockin'. Mervin Mfg (Lib Tech/GNU) and NS are my favorite board brands by far though. Also, for your weight, try to stick to something with the rocker/camber hybrid tech so you get some more float in powder. This way you can have a shorter ride for park, but still have float when it snows a bunch. Best thing to do though is to demo and take a lesson at the same time... when the instructor has you working on stuff, and you are trying out different boards, you will find one that makes everything seem easier... and that will be the ride for you. It can be difficult to demo GNU and NS on the east coast though so that is just a best case scenario.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-07-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add info
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wear a size 12. Is there any way I could ride a 160 EVO or would I have way too much drag? And if I can't is there any other Never Summer board I could ride because I really like the looks of NS boards.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You definitely want to go for the Neversummer Revolver board. It is EXACTLY the same as the Evo (even down to the graphic) bit it is a 1 cm wider... I have a size 11 boot and I wouldn't set foot on a board as small at the waist as the Evo, with your size 12 you should almost always be looking at wider boards.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll definitely check that out. Also is a 160 cm board the right size for a 200 lb guy?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlang95 View Post
I wear a size 12. Is there any way I could ride a 160 EVO or would I have way too much drag? And if I can't is there any other Never Summer board I could ride because I really like the looks of NS boards.
yes, get the revolver. Same board, different width.

Arbor Blacklist is a mid wide. BA and Nivek's favorite.

You have to define park, which can mean a bunch of things. Big jumps. Big rails. Both? Big pipe.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Big jumps and big rails. That won't be til later though.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlang95 View Post
I'll definitely check that out. Also is a 160 cm board the right size for a 200 lb guy?
Yes if you consider that the Revolver has the rocker/camber hybrid tech that NS is known for. The rocker component (in-between the bindings) makes the board float in pow like a 163, but turn like a 157 on the hard pack... The camber component (outside the bindings) adds pop for ollies and and increases grip when carving hard turns. Also remember that the wider Revolver model will have more surface area to help you float on pow days. The 160 is perfect for what you are looking for, especially as a first board. I'm thinking of picking up a NS Proto CTX 160 myself this season... I've seen 6' tall guys weighing 180 or so ride 152s and kill it in the jib parks in CO... can't comment on how much they are floating in the pow though... probably not too well.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah. I'll probably buy the Revolver and get better at riding then buy a shorter board for park when I get good.