Burton ICS - durability? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton ICS - durability?

I don't doubt the functionality or the price....But how does this system perform in terms of durability. Holding bindings in an open channel, with 2 screws.....I don't see this being heavy duty enough for heavy action...but I haven't read anything about the ICS system breaking or whatever...

Care to comment??
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I am sure that Burton has done durability testing on it before releasing it. My buddy used a flying V all of last season with the ICS and he rode it pretty hard and didn't have any problems. I think its inevitable that one will eventually fail but my guess is its very unlikely.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only constant complaint I have seen is that the brackets holding the screws get grooved out so that the binding shifts no matter how much you crank it down. I suspect this is due to allowing the screws to get loose in the first place. Moral of the story. If you are going to go with ICS, tighten your screws up before each outing...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
The only constant complaint I have seen is that the brackets holding the screws get grooved out so that the binding shifts no matter how much you crank it down. I suspect this is due to allowing the screws to get loose in the first place. Moral of the story. If you are going to go with ICS, tighten your screws up before each outing...
Tought they fixed that with the new m6 channel system ?
Snowboard_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
They fixed it this time, The 2010 and earlier system used rubber washers that get grooved. I haven't had any issue with it though cuz i have 2010 bindings on all 5 burton decks i've road in the last seasons, Just crank down as hard as you can and its good to go, its nice cuz you dont need to take the baseplate off the bindings to get to the screws and the cushion is pretty nice, you feel no dead spots. Back on topic, For the 2011 stuff to present they changed it. Made the channel wider to accomadate more bindings, added more teeth to the inside of the channel so you have more grooves on the underside of the channel for the inserts to grip. And the washer is now metal so its damn fine. You can tighten down as hard as you can and it holds! unless you have some super fucked landing on a big jump like 40ft or something where you land super far backseat and are in a fucked position, then it might move a little bit but thats with my 2010 and earlier bindings on a 2011 board, the new binder mounting system is way better with the metal washers
CustomX - J-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Change a washer on older ICS and the new stuff is fixed. The bindings were never the issue.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i have 2 boards with the ICS and i never had any problems with the bindings shifting or loosening. I was skeptical as hell before i made my first purchase, but now i fully trust the system. The only setback to the channel is that when u have ice built up in it, it is very difficult to change your angles or stance.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ah yes...

I was actually eyeing a 2009 Burton custom on craigslist. Is it going to be problematic?

The reason why I'm a bit paranoid is because it is my only and last upgrade from my $90 setup. Snowboarding is not my main sport so I need this board to last pretty much forever.

With the traditional 4 hole pattern, I don't see how that system can fail, ever (under normal circumstances).
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1021 View Post
Ah yes...

I was actually eyeing a 2009 Burton custom on craigslist. Is it going to be problematic?

The reason why I'm a bit paranoid is because it is my only and last upgrade from my $90 setup. Snowboarding is not my main sport so I need this board to last pretty much forever.

With the traditional 4 hole pattern, I don't see how that system can fail, ever (under normal circumstances).
It will be fine. Call Burton and get new hardware. Don't let some long standing bias against Burton by a few outspoken and wrong members here fool you, 100,000s of boards and bindings not failing is proof.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote