Advice for first board - Flow infinite popcam vs K2 Raygun? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Advice for first board - Flow infinite popcam vs K2 Raygun?

Hey Guys, first post here!
Hoping I can get some help, I started at the end of last season catching mostly spring riding but am looking to get a good board for next season to help me progress but also something I would be comfortable with for a long time.

Basically the only two boards within my reach (price range and availability) are the:
Flow infinite popcam 153 or
K2 Raygun 156
Its pretty hard to get cheap new boards here in NZ by the looks of it.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 148lbs - 67kgs
Shoe size: US 10
Skill: beginner-intermediate
I can scarve fine all over the mountain, comfortable on all blues and greens, all groomers though and haven't been on a single black yet. Mainly freeride but I want to get into park too.

I'm looking for a good board and I was leaning for the Raygun but it might be a tad bit big as im not liking my current 155 (albeit it is a random "Mike Ranquet" silence board).

Ive been looking through reviews and some say its hard to carve on the flow, but the size should be good for me. And the Raygun should be an all around good board but might be too big for me.
Dont know which would be better, help anyone?

Last edited by Jollybored; 02-19-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Jollybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Both are good enough sizes. The Raygun being rocker will be fine size wise as the rocker makes it easier to get on edge. It's a super solid well done board. You'll like either. The Popcam will be more responsive on edge and might take a smidge more effort being camber.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ah sweet! Thanks Nivek!

Anyone have any preferences with one or the other haha, I cant really make up my mind.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks like I will be getting the K2 Raygun!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Jolly,

This is a very tough comparison because the tech on the 3 boards is so different.

The Raygun is a flat rock design, which is far different feeling than traditional rocker. It also shortens the contact area of a board significantly.

The Infinite Pop Cam is rocker-camber-rocker. The contact points are lifted, so it will be less harsh than your traditional cambered Ranquet.

Both are designed to be all mountain boards but they go about it in a very differnt way. The 156 Raygun will feel much smaller than your current 155 as it loses a lot of contact length. The Infinite will also feel smaller but not as much. The Infinite is a more lively feeling carver and sets a more positive edge, but the Raygun can be rolled onto an edge with no effort.

Demo if you can.

Have a great season!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Aww man haha, that made things harder to decide! Appreciate it though.

Im not quite sure what you mean by "a more lively feeling carver and sets a more positive edge"

So I guess what I should be asking is which would you go with personally?

Our season just ended here, so im trying to get a good board for cheap for next season!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybored View Post
Aww man haha, that made things harder to decide! Appreciate it though.

Im not quite sure what you mean by "a more lively feeling carver and sets a more positive edge"

So I guess what I should be asking is which would you go with personally?

Our season just ended here, so im trying to get a good board for cheap for next season!
Sorry to do that to you bro

These are both fun boards that come from great brands but they do ride very differently. You will hear plenty of opinions on which tech works best and Flat Rock and Cam Rock are not exceptions.

My take:

The big central camber on the Infinite gives it a really dynamic feel. You get extra energy from edge to edge and the grip when on edge is strong and positive. The cam sections at the contact points keep it from feeling catchy and mellow out that trad cam harshness that move the industry away from old school cambered deck.

The Raygun is easier to get on edge. The flat spot is always in strong contact and it takes very little to initiate turns. Also, the true contact length is much shorter so you have a looser, swivel availability when you want it. Less precision required.

I sell Flow, so I am way too biased to give you an either / or answer, but the info above is solid and if/when you get to demo both I think that you would find the same.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheers!

That explanation helps a lot!

I was only leaning away from the infinite because some of the reviews say its hard to carve with but by the looks of it, it should be no problem.
I guess im going with the Flow !
Seems your "good guy" unbiased answer has swayed me haha! Funny that!