Beginner Freeride board for a bigger guy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Beginner Freeride board for a bigger guy

I'm 6', 235, with a 13-14 shoe size. I've boarded a few times in my life and I loved it, but I'm still definitely a beginner. Trying to assess what would be good for me. I primarily want to freeride, maybe try the park once I get more comfortable. I was looking at the Burton Hero (162W), but I don't know if it would be wide enough for me. I also don't know what boards from other companies would really be comparable (for some reason it seems hard to do cross brand comparisons). Maybe the Carbon Credit?

I really don't have a budget, I suppose under $1000? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by kdbolt70; 11-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I'm 6', 235, with a 13-14 shoe size. I've boarded a few times in my life and I loved it, but I'm still definitely a beginner. Trying to assess what would be good for me. I primarily want to freeride, maybe try the park once I get more comfortable. I was looking at the Burton Hero (162W), but I don't know if it would be wide enough for me. I also don't know what boards from other companies would really be comparable (for some reason it seems hard to do cross brand comparisons). Maybe the Carbon Credit?

I really don't have a budget, I suppose under $1000? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
I don't have specific recommendations but:
I know a reduced size 11 boot will fit onto about 252mm wide waist no problem, and that's considered MID-Wide.
Boots you'll probably want to size down on anyways, so try somethin in the 12.5-13.5 range, in a reduced footprint (it'll effectively have the footprint of about 1/2 size smaller or greater.

Also, at 235, I'd probably go a little longer. something like 165W or so? Which means the waist will again be wider.

Buy boots first, then bring them to every board/binding fitting

Good luck!
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
I don't have specific recommendations but:
I know a reduced size 11 boot will fit onto about 252mm wide waist no problem, and that's considered MID-Wide.
Boots you'll probably want to size down on anyways, so try somethin in the 12.5-13.5 range, in a reduced footprint (it'll effectively have the footprint of about 1/2 size smaller or greater.

Also, at 235, I'd probably go a little longer. something like 165W or so? Which means the waist will again be wider.

Buy boots first, then bring them to every board/binding fitting

Good luck!
Good point. I suppose I should start with boots and work my way back. I hadn't gotten that far in my research. So much stuff to learn! Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree that you should get your boots first. Also you should spend more on boots too. Highend boots have much better liners and will be more comfertable and give more support.

As for a board, I have a buddy about your size and he has the 164w carbon credit and really likes it. The k2 raygun comes in a wide and is also a good board on a budget.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

since ur just starting out, boots first...spare no expense, helmet and then just get something that works...til you figure more out and know more specifics of what you want in a board. imo you just need to get some time and experience in before sinking a bunch of $ on a new board

found this for ya...maybe upgrade the bindings

K2 Fatbob 164 Snowboard w/ Salomon bindings
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll definitely go boots first.

I have been skiing all my life, so I feel pretty comfortable on the hill. And I don't know if you get a lot of people on here saying it, but honestly money is no object when it comes to getting good equipment. I am willing to put in the research to find what is the best fit for me, without worrying about cost. Hence why I am here to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

from personal experience, (i am taller and weigh more with the same size boots) Gnu riders choice, lib t rice HP, lib skunk ape, lib TRS (all Mervin boards) are all great for me. Some people on here dont like them and thats cool but i loved riding them, i stuck the the riders choice 166W as i found it most fun. Other boards you might want to look at are the Never summer HeritageX, carbon credit wide as mentioned, K2 make some good sticks as alot of people here will atest to. I have no experience with rome, ride or burton although i have heard great things about the burton custom, the rome anthem and ride highlife (all are considered intermediate to advanced boards i believe).

Anyway best advice i was given is to demo as many boards as you can, and then make a good informed decision. If you cant then do as much research and of course take peoples opinions on board and chuck out the ones you think are BS (maybe this one haha)
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Nevermind what I said, since ur a skier. If your hill does performance rentals like ours does. You can change out a bunch of boards through out the day all under 1 performance rental.