Buying whole setup, need suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying whole setup, need suggestions

So yea I'm buying a whole setup and need suggestions on board, bindings, boots, and a helmet. I've been looking around and like the skate banana but am still really undecided on about everything. The past 2 years I have rented because I've only been for going for a week at a time, but I look to do a lot of snowboarding in the future. I definitely want a helmet that has earphones and what not, wireless/bluetooth would be great if they offer that. I'm not a beginner by any means, just looking don't know exactly what to get. And since this is my first full setup I want to do it right. I'm mostly all mountain, but I want to do park in the future so I'm kinda looking for an all around board. I'm 5'11, 190 lbs, and wear a size 11. Looking to drop around 1000 give or take. Just let me know and throw suggestions, thanks.

Last edited by scrill; 11-09-2011 at 08:26 PM.
scrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

um yaa....
height
weight
bootsize
where you ride..
price range.. (and for this give us a total amount, not price range for each item)
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, it'd be nice if you gave your weight and bootsize as that will determine what board you will get.

But anyways, first and foremost, go to a boardshop and try on boots. Pay retail if you have to, to get the boots that fit perfect. Basically snug, even pressure all the way around your foot with no pressure points and no heel lift.

Bindings are up in the air as there's very often some nice ones from past years for sale. Keep browsing the forums for all-mountain type bindings. Rome, Flux, Ride, K2, and Union bindings are popular here.

For a board, look around for something that's a directional-twin with a mid-flex. Pretty much an all-mountain type board so as you progress you can dabble a bit in the park and still be stable as you get faster and faster. Most boards from my experience that retail for under say $300 all tend to ride similar; they're just very basic. Past that price point is where companies start to throw in nicer tech, this is where it pays to shop around for older model boards that are on sale for clearance. Just beware of buying used... boarders who are comfortable at riding tend to thrash their boards.

As for helmets, I actually just got a Smith Holt and matching audio set. So far I like it. Fits well with my head, no dreaded gap since they integrate with my Smith I/O goggles, and the skull candy audio set slips right into the earmuffs. It might be a bit bulky, but I didn't want to pay out the nose for getting something low-profile(I just wanted to protect my head from hardpack crashes).
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry about that, I'm 5'11 190 lbs and where a size 11 shoe
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrill View Post
Sorry about that, I'm 5'11 190 lbs and where a size 11 shoe
As far as generalities go I'll just comment on what I have rode. A burton custom was a great all mountain/frestyle board for me. Im 6'3 200lbs and rode the 158. all around great board, responsive,poppy never had any issues with it. I could hit any jump with ease or rail. I think it ran me 500 something without the bindings. There are so many different sticks out there you can't go wrong now a days. I still have it 6 years later with zero issues.

Last edited by uninc.mike; 11-09-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
uninc.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notter123 View Post
um yaa....
height
weight
bootsize
where you ride..
price range.. (and for this give us a total amount, not price range for each item)
...but hey, he's no beginner mind you.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_je View Post
Guess I should have cleared that up.. I meant no beginner as in skill wise but very much beginner in not knowing what to buy.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

arbor blacklist 160 $420
union atlas L bindings $235
what ever boots you want and are the most comfy for you, go try them on, i suggest stiffer boots, they will break in and be plenty flexy for park
bern audio helmet 125

even if you get a $300 boot you are right at 1000 with a bad ass setup

if you need clothes and stuff too it will be tough to come in under 1000. i would look at evo. com's outlet board packages, they are quality and really really cheap

Last edited by Riley212; 11-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Riley212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

2012 Park Pickle 156cm - Great all-around board. Has magnetraction which is really good if you ride a lot of crappy/icey snow. It's hair past mid-flex. Full rocker, but fairly mellow.

Sorry, this one is last year's but it's the same. And my review sucked here haha

or

2012 Rome Agent: This is a mid-stiff board if you like more aggressive riding. It has a rocker in between bindings and camber underfoot. Awesome all-mountain board with lots of pop.

Ignore my "158" comment. I meant 157.

This is David Z on these forums... remember, "You can jib it, but I don't know why you would want to."

Rome 390 Boss is an awesome set of bindings. Will work well with both boards above. If you really want to go aggressive with the Agent Rocker, find some Targas (good luck, they are selling out like hotcakes). They are mid flex and have a ton of options like various canting and adjustability up the wazoo.

Boots are very user specific. Hard to recommend them. I will just say ThirtyTwo Lashed because they are highly popular.

Helmet are highly personal preference as well so I'll just shout out another popular model, Bern Watts Audio. You will have to buy bluetooth separately for almost any audio helmet.

All of the above come well under budget. My employer does package deals. Board is still full price, but you get a package discount on the rest like boots, bindings, helmets, outerwear. Burton is excluded though due to their restrictions.

Have a look. You won't find the audio helmet in the package though (development issues). Add the items I suggested to see the price of the whole thing. If you want everything including helmet, the easiest way to do this is to contact customer service and have them build it for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any problems/questions.

Men's Snowboard Packages
Old 11-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_je View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
arbor blacklist 160 $420
union atlas L bindings $235
what ever boots you want and are the most comfy for you, go try them on, i suggest stiffer boots, they will break in and be plenty flexy for park
bern audio helmet 125

even if you get a $300 boot you are right at 1000 with a bad ass setup

if you need clothes and stuff too it will be tough to come in under 1000. i would look at evo. com's outlet board packages, they are quality and really really cheap
Nah I got all the clothes but thanks for the recommendations that arbor looks legit.