All mountain/fun board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default All mountain/fun board

So I have been reading a lot and trying to pick out a board to suit my needs of being fun and all mountain playful while still being able to hold a good edge as im on the east coast and split my time 50/50 park and groomers. Im coming from positive camber capita photofetish 156 from about 6 years ago and have no experience with rocker boards/variations and doing a demo is non-existant so just wanted some opinions before dropping the cash.

I've been looking at Arbor westmark/blacklist, NS evo/revolver, NS proto, ride machete, bataleon evil twin, but totally up for any suggestions as I dont know how the evo or blacklist especially fare outside park.

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs, size 11.5/12 boot (my current capita is regular width and didnt face much issue with drag if that counts for anything)
jak169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your list is really solid, all good choices. I would put the Evil Twin and Westmark at the bottom of the list though. The Evo and Blacklist do well outside of the park, no need to worry about that. If you want something stiffer than all of these boards look at the Ride DH2. Coming off of camber and riding the east coast you may want to go with a hybrid rocker (a combination of rocker and camber) like NS's or Ride's for that little bit of extra edgehold.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll look into those. Any input for size or if i should stick with regular waist width?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

I'm 6' and 210 lbs and size 11 boots, used to have the Machete 161w. I would've been fine with the regular width and kind of wish I would've had the regs. You probably would be too unless you're laying huge euro carves, especially if you have a duck stance, but if you're wearing 12s then you can probably go either way and the wide would be OK for you too.

But since you are on the East coast why no boards from Lib/Gnu with MTX? Might be worth checking out. Carbon Credit series from Gnu is a pretty versatile board and avail in wides, full banana rocker but the MTX gives you decent edgehold. A tad lively but not squirrely. Buttery enough to play around in the park, too but still a board geared towards the guy who will ride all over the mountain.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The NS SL was the most fun all mountain freeride stick I've ridden for a while but now I just use my Smokin' MIP for everything. I would look into the NS Proto also, I havent ridden one yet but if its what they say it is (between Evo and SL) then that would be a great all around board also. Riding in the ice coast, you will benefit from magnetraction tech so look into the attack banana and rider's choice from gnu.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak169 View Post
I'll look into those. Any input for size or if i should stick with regular waist width?
Like David Z said, at a 12 you will most likely look at a wide, at an 11 or 11.5 it could be up to the board (like the Machete is a touch narrower than an Evo). Depending on stance width and angles you could be fine or not fine...just takes a little research of your own. What one man says is no drag could be your idea of too much toe drag...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

ill have to try to do some measurements on my board width and go from there with the options. I had looked at some magnatraction boards before, but seemed to get the impression that its a love/hate thing witht the tech and that it could be a little too catchy buttering or cruising, so i wasnt sure i was willing to risk since i dont know of any demos in my area of pa. i will have to do a little more research as far as what people say in that aspect. I was interested in how parabolic arbor rocker holds up outside park since a lot of people seem to rave about the blacklist. I imagine maybe not quite as good as rocker/camber varints but i got impression evo is softer and how that all fits together. Any size suggestions for some of these? i was thinking 158-ish?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm not trying to market any sites or anything, but if you buy your gear from backcountry.com you won't get anything at discount but they have an unlimited, no questions asked return policy. Basically what that means is you spend the little extra cash buying something from them once and ever year you can trade your board for something new. It's just a suggestion because that's what I do, and it's saved me money in the long run.
armybpc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow dude, no offense, but way to beat someone up in a crap economy. That crosses the ethics line a little, dont you think?
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak169 View Post
i dont know of any demos in my area of pa. Any size suggestions for some of these? i was thinking 158-ish?
Are you eastern PA? Check out Buckman's, I bet they do a demo or two..

Don't get hung up on a specific number. Look at a range. You would be anywhere from 156-162 depending on terrain, board stiffness, ability (shooting for the middle of the range would get you the best combination of every aspect of riding)...