Have $900 in REI credit ..which board to choose? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Have $900 in REI credit ..which board to choose?

Just completed my first season of boarding this spring/summer.

I have about $900 in Rei gift card/store credit, was thinking about getting a new board as my previous board is pretty banged up and is from 2000, picked it up used off craigslist. I'm not even sure what size the previous board is I think it was a 158.

I'm 6ft 160 pounds. Would a size 159 be right for me? I also mostly board at Tahoe/Squaw, so not sure how pow heavy of a board I need, as I mostly boarded the spring season for my first year.
I can go down black runs, and have gotten good at going fast speeds.

This season I want to focus more on jumps, buttering etc. Not really park though. I guess all mountain would be better for me.

Out of these boards which ones would you guys recommend and why?
I was thinking of just going all out and getting the GNU Impossible Series EC2 BTX Snowboard - 2011/2012 although the art is kinda ugly. How much better is that board vs GNU Altered Genetics C2 BTX Snowboard - 2011/2012? Is it overkill? I figure why not since I have the credit, might as well benefit from all the tech?

Too many choices and I know nothing of the brands quality of tech etc. Any help would be appreciated.
snowbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbummer View Post

I have about $900 in Rei gift card/store credit, was thinking about getting a new board as my previous board is pretty banged up and is from 2000, picked it up used off craigslist. I'm not even sure what size the previous board is I think it was a 158.

I'm 6ft 160 pounds. Would a size 159 be right for me? I also mostly board at Tahoe/Squaw, so not sure how pow heavy of a board I need, as I mostly boarded the spring season for my first year.

This season I want to focus more on jumps, buttering etc. Not really park though. I guess all mountain would be better for me.

I was thinking of just going all out and getting the GNU Impossible Series EC2 BTX Snowboard - 2011/2012 although the art is kinda ugly. How much better is that board vs GNU Altered Genetics C2 BTX Snowboard - 2011/2012? Is it overkill? I figure why not since I have the credit, might as well benefit from all the tech?

Too many choices and I know nothing of the brands quality of tech etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Arbor Cascade (graphics are awesome) and some bindings and boots. You might have to pay 50 bux if you do it right.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you putting new bindings on this board? If so, don't blow $800 on a board and leave only $100 for some fresh new binders...not a great idea. Also, the difference between a $800 board and a $500 is usually just the ego riding it. Basically you can find a better board looking for your needs rather than what you want to spend.

Look at:
Arbor Coda
Lib Tech TRS
Burton Sherlock
Flow Drifter
Salomon Man's Board

Those should get you started.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Arbor Cascade (graphics are awesome) and some bindings and boots. You might have to pay 50 bux if you do it right.
FYI,the Cascade is an Arbor Coda...it is just an REI Special Make Up so that they can advertise a cheaper price and not violate Minimum Advertised Pricing policies.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbummer View Post

Do you have boots yet? Only for your first year, your boots might not be a problem yet. As you get better you may realize your boots suck. So I suggest spending that money on some good boots. Forget the $800 board. what if you find out that's not your style. Get the boots first (if you need them) then board.

I'd check out the Arbors (coda and blacklist)
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

K2 Slayblade
Gnu Riders Choice

Those are my two choices.
woodhomie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhomie1996 View Post
K2 Slayblade
Gnu Riders Choice

Those are my two choices.
riders choice has always ben a favorite. They also have the gnu billy goat in 159 and 162 for years they only made it in 162.check out the billy goat. I love that board.
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
FYI,the Cascade is an Arbor Coda...it is just an REI Special Make Up so that they can advertise a cheaper price and not violate Minimum Advertised Pricing policies.
sweet, good for that dude to know. great base graphic
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gnu riders choice
Jones Mountain Twin

Union Forces

I have not bought boots in 8 seasons, so i have not really looked at or played with anything recently. Go with what fits and feels good, don't skimp, you get what you pay for.
snafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

All of the boards you guys suggested look&sound pretty sick.

For bindings I have a pair of older Flex bindings I'd guess from 2006 or so.
They seem alright to me, don't have much else to compare to.. I seem to be able to control edge to edge just fine..how important are the bindings?

Whats the advantage of the Arbor Coda/Cascade tech vs the GNU Impossible Series/ Riders Choice magna-traction tech/banana rocker for my needs
& what about the Arbor Wasteland ... Is the Coda the better board?

What are the big diff between say the Billy Goat/ Riders Choice/ The Impossible?

Boots I got a pair of Burton Ions 11.5 havent had a chance to test them yet. Would I need a wide board at that size?

Based on my stats (160lb 6ft) 159 would be ok..or too big?
snowbummer is offline   Reply With Quote