Lost 75 lbs, I Have No Idea What Size/Type of Board I Need Now? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lost 75 lbs, I Have No Idea What Size/Type of Board I Need Now?

I could use some advice here. I recently lost a lot of weight. I dropped from 275 lbs to 195 lbs so far over the past 4 months (joined a medical research study on weight loss ). Now I have no idea what to expect as I approach snowboard season and what size board to try. I had been looking at some new boards last season, but now I'm in uncharted territory (I have not been this weight since 7th grade, almost 20 years ago). I am very fit right now, very muscular not just weakened, so at least I have that going for me. The problem is, I have never tried snowboarding at this weight and do not know what to expect for size and style.

Stats & Style: 5'10", 195 lbs, 11.5 (U.S.). I would call myself an intermediate-to-advanced rider (not an expert), mostly doing groomers, but a few blacks, some woods with fresh powder, a little off piste but not much. I tend to charge hard on the groomers and just bomb.

I have always ridden long boards to deal with weight, and wide boards for longish feet (maybe not needed, but helpful with my weight). So I have owned boards in the 168-172 range. Last year I was looking at a Neversummer Raptor/RaptorX 165 and a Bataleon Undisputed 167: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-bataleon.html. I guess don't need as stiff or long a board anymore to handle my weight, though these could still be awesome.

I may chicken out on getting a new board and just look for rentals/demos this season. For all I know, I will gain all the weight back before the end of the season anyway but I'd still like to figure out what works for me.

I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion about board type and length. I am really at a loss, so any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks very much for your generous thoughts and time.
DexterMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From what it sounds like, I think you'd be safe with a ~161-163
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifprasir View Post
If I were you, I'd go in a local shop and just bend boards with my foot until I see which one behaves my previous board did, if that is you are not looking for something new.
Seriously? You're kidding right? Might be the worst advice I have ever seen on here.

Were you looking for something to hit that park at all, or just something to cruise and bomb some hills? That will play a role in the size and board for sure. Congrats on the weight as well not just keep it off with hard work
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvols View Post
Seriously? You're kidding right? Might be the worst advice I have ever seen on here.

Were you looking for something to hit that park at all, or just something to cruise and bomb some hills? That will play a role in the size and board for sure. Congrats on the weight as well not just keep it off with hard work
yeah i reread myself after I posted, i facepalmed at myself but there's no delete so I just said fuckit :P
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I really only don't do anything freestyle, just groomers and powder (though sometimes I wish I had a short flexible board while trying to do moguls).

I'm no expert and I take all advice, but feeling the flex of the board under foot in the store seems like a really difficult measure, at for me, lol.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wow , 20 pounds a month lost? Mind if I ask what they had you doing in this study? That's some pretty insanely fast weight loss.

I think you'd be fine with a 158/160, something like a Never Summer SL

Last edited by Jenzo; 11-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Besides being a human guinea pig and getting poked and prodded and scanned, they had me consumer 800 calories liquid only for 12 weeks (5 x 160 calorie protein shakes). It was tough to get used to, but after a few weeks was very normal. About 5 lbs per week of weight loss. I'm still working on eating more normal now, at around 1400 calories per day. If you are interested, the product I was eating was called HMR 800 shakes and you can google it, no prescription required.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMichigan View Post
I really only don't do anything freestyle, just groomers and powder (though sometimes I wish I had a short flexible board while trying to do moguls).

I'm no expert and I take all advice, but feeling the flex of the board under foot in the store seems like a really difficult measure, at for me, lol.
162ish seems like a great place to start. I am a little heavier than you but 62/63 is my preference for cruising.

You would probably have less trouble on an even longer board than most just because you are used to riding those 172cm sticks. Also keep in mind that although you lost a ton of weight, you are probably in much better shape now than you were, so you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of snowboarding now that you are in better shape!

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMichigan View Post
Besides being a human guinea pig and getting poked and prodded and scanned, they had me consumer 800 calories liquid only for 12 weeks (5 x 160 calorie protein shakes). It was tough to get used to, but after a few weeks was very normal. About 5 lbs per week of weight loss. I'm still working on eating more normal now, at around 1400 calories per day. If you are interested, the product I was eating was called HMR 800 shakes and you can google it, no prescription required.
I lost a ton of weight too in the past year, massive exercise and calorie restriction/low carb. Interesting, thanks for the info. I fast on and off now because the last few pounds are so hard to lose.
Congrats and good luck with your new bod this season!
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

congrads on the new bod and you'll feel like superman on the hill. Concur with the 161-163 for groomers to 164-166 range for deeper pow. I would recommend stepping up to expert level board...maybe some hybrid cam/rocker since you are in shape, have ridden and like to bomb...you probably enjoy the liveliness and responsiveness and it will have capacity for you to progress...which will be a real motivator to keep the weight off.

btw i'm 180# and ride 155, 58, 59, 62, and 64 groomer to pow.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 11-12-2011 at 07:56 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote