Is Burton really that bad? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is Burton really that bad?

This is my personal experience so of course you fine folks are more than welcome to speak your mind and share your own experience. I've been riding since 2000 and pretty consistently 30 days a season. I would say I'm pretty advance doing 360s and 180s, nothing crazy. Mostly I just like to goof around, bombing down runs, a few flat presses, and a rail here and there in between.

My first board was a Salomon Fastback, heavy but very stable board, then I got a Burton Dragon, at the time I thought it was the lightest/best board I've ridden. I love it. Then I got a Palmer Classic to goof around in, but I must say even though it had a sintered base it's not a good snowboard. Then a Ride DH, and another Burton Dragon and finally I finally bought into the hype and got a Bataleon Riot.

Base on the different snowboards I've owned and ridden and waxed/maintained, I can say that the Burton is by far the best quality board I've owned. I can't say about Burton's high end boards these days since I have never ridden them. But in the beginning of the millennium Burton was making board that was innovative and high quality. Their bases are usually sintered and my Burton Dragon had stainless steel edge so they were very strong even though they were made thin to save weight. I finally had to retire my Dragon after t-boning the side edge onto a rail and cracking the side edge.

In comparison, my ride DH has edge that are easily rusted meaning the steel edge is not of high quality and the base was easily gouged. My Bataleon Riot is even worst in my opinion, the steel edge is very soft and get badly rusted after a day on the slope. I haven't used my Bataleon much yet since I just got it last season but it doesn't feel as sturdy as my Burton Dragon. I guess the was I can compare the two is like the one dollar screw driver comparing to a $10 screw driver form Craftsman.

I know I can't determine the quality of a snowboard simply by it's steel edge but my Burton Dragon simply 'feels' like it has a higher quality. Don't get me wrong, I do love my Bataleon Riot and I love the TBT and I do get alot of compliments on it. Though Bataleon is still selling alot of their lineups with extruded base which leads me to believe because of the TBT tech they're not as keen on offering better quality snowboards.

Thanks for your time reading my long azz essay but I feel that it's not fair Burton is getting such a bad reputation for their current lineup. BTW I do think Burton's EST is a horrible idea.
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

People have a biased uninformed hate for Burton, that's for sure. I don't "love" them because of reasons other than their product. However I have had issues with their product too. Burton is hit and miss, as is almost every company. There are tons of these threads though, just search a bit.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I dont support burton just cause they already have a name for themselves.
I love the little guys in snowboarding (Signal, Bataleon, Weekend, Celsius) The list goes on. Once I found out that burton bought Forum and Specialblend....thats when the hate started.
They are trying to be the biggest and the best..but cant do that when some of their boards are pressed in china.
I dont want a 8 year old making my snowboard. I like talking to Daniel from Signal and asking him whats up? I cant do that with burton.
SMLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

oh good god, another one of these threads.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
Exactly, we don't need another one of these.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

EST is cool because of the micro adjusting and great feel. No EST Reflex because it already happens on EST bindings. It is rad BTW.

They make and design some damn good boards. The Malolo, Fish, UnInc, Supermodel, Custom, Custom X, and all the Vintage boards are legend . What other builder besides Capita has LEGENDARY boards? Very few to none.

They make better than great outerwear and gloves too.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
EST is cool because of the micro adjusting and great feel. No EST Reflex because it already happens on EST bindings. It is rad BTW.

They make and design some damn good boards. The Malolo, Fish, UnInc, Supermodel, Custom, Custom X, and all the Vintage boards are legend . What other builder besides Capita has LEGENDARY boards? Very few to none.

They make better than great outerwear and gloves too.

Few?

What about bataleon and their patented TBT base.
What about mervin and their a-symmetric sidewalls?
What about signal and their every third thursday?

Burton to me is meh compared to other companies.
SMLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post

x1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMLZ View Post
Few?

What about bataleon and their patented TBT base.
What about mervin and their a-symmetric sidewalls?
What about signal and their every third thursday?

Burton to me is meh compared to other companies.
The point. You missed it.
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Burton is more core than any of us here, except the veterans.

For the guy who is blinded by his indy fanboy status ( i am right there with you man sometimes): Burton has made 10+ boards that are LEGEND, not just fancy names for shit that has been done before in new ways. Capita, Signal, Lib, all have one or two GREAT and legendary boards. Burton has at least 10, one company, 10+ legendary boards. Think about it.

They have an outwear line (AK) that is better than most skier's shit.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Id say that the Atomic Hatchet is legendary.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote