Looking for a good first board...Advice on full setup? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a good first board...Advice on full setup?

hey, im looking to get my first setup boots bindings and board.

Weight: 175-180 (but I'll be cutting down to 165-170 beginning this week)
Boot size: 12
Riding style (do you like to charge steeps? Spin 7's/9's, ride groomers?) just carve down the mountain? Idk pretty nooby with terms and stuff
Age (are you still growing and puttin on weight?) 17
budget (if you have one) 200-400 For the whole setup
Your location of riding - mountain high and big bear in California if you know em.(mountain)

Last edited by DannyOcean; 11-13-2011 at 03:01 PM.
DannyOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

200-400 is kinda low for a whole set up. you might want to try to get a little more if you want a decent beginner set up. start with trying on boots, you want the best fitting boots possible. Keep an eye out for sales as they are right in the prime for last years goods. ill try to find some good prices for you.

also, you might want to check out the buy/sell section. you might find a good deal on a board or bindings. look for a board 155-160cm big. possibly a wide board.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well you have two options. Get a nice setup now that will last you four or five years, besides boots, and learn on that. Or get a lower end board for two or so years and dump it later for a board with more tech. Oooooorr.....just tie penguins to your feet.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, well yeah 200-400 might get me the setup I want as the identity by my house has everything from last year 40% off, so i'm going to check out the prices tomorrow after school. I'm just looking for an idea as in to what brands, what boards, what kind of board? I was thinking rocker judging on what i read on the stickies, but I'm still a noob to all these things.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There is no brand that is "good," per say. I would actually go with a cambered. It is a carving board, and can later translate into a beginner park board. For right now, I would go with a cheap cambered board. No need to get the most hyped brand, but don't go getting an unknown sketchy board. Just let the shop guys guide ya and then come back here with what you have, sometimes shop guys can be a little pushy.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
There is no brand that is "good," per say. I would actually go with a cambered. It is a carving board, and can later translate into a beginner park board. For right now, I would go with a cheap cambered board. No need to get the most hyped brand, but don't go getting an unknown sketchy board. Just let the shop guys guide ya and then come back here with what you have, sometimes shop guys can be a little pushy.

Alright, thanks! I'll come back tomorrow with what it's coming down to gear wise and such.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright. After the trip to identity. I found I could get a full package for 540.
Consisting of:
Burton whammy bar
Button cartels
And boots

The board is a 153.

The other boards I was interested in was:
Forum contract
Forum destroyer
Burton hate

Any opinions on what I should get?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
Alright. After the trip to identity. I found I could get a full package for 540.
Consisting of:
Burton whammy bar
Button cartels
And boots

The board is a 153.

The other boards I was interested in was:
Forum contract
Forum destroyer
Burton hate

Any opinions on what I should get?
153 sounds kinda short, not to mention probably not wide enough for your size 12 feet.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0p View Post
153 sounds kinda short, not to mention probably not wide enough for your size 12 feet.
I'm a short guy and not to mention I'm cutting weight down to 165-170.
Would I need a wide board? I have friends who wear 12s too and ride normal. The guy that helped said he used normal too and would suggest wide for sizes bigger than 12
Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
I'm a short guy and not to mention I'm cutting weight down to 165-170.
Would I need a wide board? I have friends who wear 12s too and ride normal. The guy that helped said he used normal too and would suggest wide for sizes bigger than 12
You may be able to get away with a regular board. Honestly it depends on a bunch of things. Some boots have a bigger footprint than others and some boards are wider than others. It also depends on your angles.

As for the length, you can size down if you are short for your weight. It also depends on what you do. This is a park board, is that what you're into? And a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

I also don't know if it's a good beginner board.