how to detune women's Never Summer board with Vario sidecut? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jaa

Question how to detune women's Never Summer board with Vario sidecut?

I just got a Never Summer Pandora and have questions about detuning the tip/tail. I have a double-cut Warding bastard file and gummy stone I borrowed from a friend.

1. Because they are rocker-camber, do Never Summer boards even require tip/tail detuning? Since the tip/tail are rockered up, won't they naturally catch less than regular camber?

2. Are there any tricks that will suffer from tip/tail detuning (waddling, penguin walk, tamedogs Snowboard Trick Tip: Front Flip - YouTube )?

3. How detuning is needed? Am I supposed to completely round-off the edge at the tip/tail, or just take the sharpness off a touch? Is there a difference in riding/performance?

4. How far down each edge am I supposed to detune? Are the red areas in the pic below correct, or am I supposed to leave the very tip/tail sharp (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on the board)?

5. Will detuning tip/tail mess up the Vario sidecut?

6. Are a bastard file first and then gummy stone sufficient, or do I need a diamond stone in the middle?

Thanks! My first non-rental board, so I am a little nervous I will do permanent harm.

Last edited by Jaa; 11-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Jaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have the right idea, but don't bother... it is already less catchy than a regular camber board as its rocker.
Also, vario sidecut is on the sides of the board, not in the tip and tails. The only thing detuning the tip and tail will do here is be friendlier in your car when you load up your board and in the lift line to boards in front and behind yours.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't touch it with any stones unless you're going to sharpen it

NS's do not need detuned

And the major tip and tail that you've highlighted never gets detuned, to my knowledge..... They're the most elevated part of a board on any camber and should never need detuned, and not really even sharpened as that's past contact point
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jaa

Question

Just curious, aren't the board's contact points part of the effective edge? If you're supposed to detune your contact points, isn't that dulling part of your effective edge that you're using to ride/carve on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Don't touch it with any stones unless you're going to sharpen it
The guy in this DogFunk video is using diamond & gummy stones in detuning tip/tail: Dogfunk.com Snowboard Tuning Guide part 1 - detuning contact points - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
NS's do not need detuned

And the major tip and tail that you've highlighted never gets detuned, to my knowledge..... They're the most elevated part of a board on any camber and should never need detuned, and not really even sharpened as that's past contact point
The guy in this SnowProfessor.com video ( How to Snowboard: Detune Tip & Tail - YouTube ) is actually detuning the entire arc of his tip/tail starting in the video about 0:32s.

So which is correct for a traditional camber board? DogFunk or SnowProfessor? I'm glad NS doesn't really need detuning.
Jaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I detuned the tip and tail of my neversummer sl just in case, I just made sure to err on the side of caution so i don't touch the effective edge.

I was going to start a new thread on a similar subject, but it seems relevant here as well. Can anyone recommend a good tool for sharpening the edges on a neversummer? I have this one that I bought for an old clambered board but it seems to be getting caught on the RC edge of my SL. Any one know of a good file guide?
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa View Post

1. Because they are rocker-camber, do Never Summer boards even require tip/tail detuning? Since the tip/tail are rockered up, won't they naturally catch less than regular camber?

:
just an fyi, unless the womens are for some reason different, this is wrong...the rocker is between your feet and the camber is at the tip and tail
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i ALWAYS detune my tip and tail as well as about an inch past the contact points. doing this has no effect on the ride since the the tip and tail never touch the snow unless you are buttering, which you wont want any edges for anyway. going a little past the effective edge only makes it a little less hooky in turns but you still have the majority of the edge between your feet sharp so making turns is still fine.

when i do this i take a swix file i have and completely round it off on the tip/tail and i just barely take the bite off on/a little past the contact points. i dont use any other stone for it other then my file but you can use a gummy if you want.

what you have highlighted in your picture is exactly what you wanna aim for
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default De-Tuning in General

As a new rider who rode on rented boards last year and purchased a New Arbor formula this year is De-Tuning my new board recommend?
Amarc is offline   Reply With Quote