Time to get a good board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Time to get a good board?

Trying to determine would I benefit from a nice board. I have been boarding for a few seasons but only maybe three or four days each year. This year I made a commitment and bought a season pass to the local mountain. Currently I have three old boards and I've only ridden one of them. I got a blow out deal at Big5 a few years back on a dynastar definitive and a morrow clutch for $50 each. The other board was from a spot called TDC boardshop (cool looking wood blank). I haven't rode it but appears to be a very stiff board. Can't remember what I got it for but I know it was cheap.

I'm in the stage where I'm stoked just making down some greens and easy blues without catching an edge transitioning from toe to heel. So I'm not sure I would take advantage of a good quality board. But I got to thinking about my mountain bike. I started with a $500 hard tail and jumped to a $1500 one and the difference was night and day.

Thanks
viennadisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just making it down Greens and Blues? I'd stick with it for just a little more. Figure out what you want first. For me, I figured, I wanted to go freestyle more than big mountain, because,well, there are no big mountains around me.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, I have pretty much decided I'm going to stick with an all mountain board. I spent most of my youth in the skatepark and those days are over The most I've done on my board is 5050 a rail or box and that's proably all I will ever do. You're probably right though I should stick it out for a little while longer with what I have.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennadisco View Post
Thanks for the advice, I have pretty much decided I'm going to stick with an all mountain board. I spent most of my youth in the skatepark and those days are over The most I've done on my board is 5050 a rail or box and that's proably all I will ever do. You're probably right though I should stick it out for a little while longer with what I have.
What is your local mountain, I'm assuming Bear or mt High? That would mostly rule out Big Mountain stuff.

You will know very quickly when your board starts holding you back. Runs here are short so if you are like me you will get bored of just cruising down the mountain and look into jumping off stuff even little things. Id start thinking of all mountain freestyle decks. stuff that handles cruising perfectly fine, can handle speed, and can still mess around when you want to. NS SL, Arbor coda, stuff like that.

You will benefit from a great board when the old one sucks. After one season on a Technine Split T, I felt I needed an upgrade, I got an SL and never looked back. The SL Is very damp and you can go fast comfortably if that's your thing.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
What is your local mountain, I'm assuming Bear or mt High? That would mostly rule out Big Mountain stuff.

You will know very quickly when your board starts holding you back. Runs here are short so if you are like me you will get bored of just cruising down the mountain and look into jumping off stuff even little things. Id start thinking of all mountain freestyle decks. stuff that handles cruising perfectly fine, can handle speed, and can still mess around when you want to. NS SL, Arbor coda, stuff like that.

You will benefit from a great board when the old one sucks. After one season on a Technine Split T, I felt I needed an upgrade, I got an SL and never looked back. The SL Is very damp and you can go fast comfortably if that's your thing.
Yep mt high is where I will be spending most of my time, I plan to get there at least twice a week. I checked out the SL, sick looking board. Maybe I will hold out until the end of season or find a demo day to see if I'm ready for a new board yet.