recommendations for kid's gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default recommendations for kid's gear?

my 7 yr old daughter (who is a decent skier) wants to get into snowboarding (because she hates ski boots ). Do you guys have some general recommendations for kid's gear, seeing as how most stuff is on sale now? We went to the store just to look around, and kid's boots seem to be pretty different from adult boots. The Burtons we looked at did not have an interior liner, just the outside shell. Also, the part of the boot that covers the shin did not have laces; there was just a big velcro strap.

And what about boards? At her age, is it even worth getting a board since kids grow so quickly? Or should I consider leasing or renting the board/bindings? How do I pick a suitable length of board for little kids? The smallest board in the store was a 130, but even that board was a bit taller than she is.

thanks! I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences in bringing young children snowboarding; how quickly can they pick it up, at which age do you start them (I heard that it's better to start the really young ones on skis, and around 7-8 years old they are developed enough to control a snowboard).
rustydomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
mitchamus

I have 3 kids and all have there own stuff including my 4yo. I guess there spoiled. With the price of rentals it is cheaper to get your own stuff in the long run. watch ebay for stuff world industries makes alot of kid boards that you can get cheap on ebay. boots look around for a good deal cause they wont last long. for binding burton makes these ones called burton scout binding my kids had better luck with these then the trad. 2 strap.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

At her age, rent first. As a 7 year old, it's going to be difficult for her to pick up snowboarding, because of lack of development for more subtle muscle control. If you can make her wait until she is 8 or 9. If you do decide to get her gear, buy used, since she will be growing like a weed anyhow. Board length wise, it is like any other person really, it goes by weight, and not so much height.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

if she is 46 pounds, what is a good board length?

Also, are kid's boots weird like I described above? that is, do they only have the outer shell and not the inside liner? or did I just find some weird cheap discount boot that I should avoid?

thanks!
rustydomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
ecave84

Kids' Snowboard Boots from Dogfunk.com

the stuff dogfunk caries looks like normal boots.

looking at a size chart you would want to be somewhere around 111-121
Dogfunk.com Sizing Chart

Last edited by ecave84; 02-29-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
ecave84

also i agree on the renting unless you can afford to spend money on new gear every year.