The Switch from Camber to Rocker... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Switch from Camber to Rocker...

So as a rider that has been riding for about 14 or so years I grew up on camber boards as there was no such thing as a rocker board until recently.. I haven't bought a new board in approximately 6 or so years as corporate america tends to take away from my snowboard time Not this year though, i am dedicating myself to riding a lot... anyway, if I purchase a rocker board.. thinking the Arbor Element, without actually riding it.. have been recommended it by a few shops after telling them my riding style.. will there be a huge difference in what I am used to? Im sure only a few sessions and I should be adjusted? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks All!
jrdoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's what I've heard. You should be adjusted after the first time out. I can't wait to see how catch free it is.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, it'll be a little quirky and weird at first, but after a day or two it'll be second nature.

To hell with the Arbor Element. Beautiful boards that ride nice, but they just do not hold up.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes, make the change. I would look beyond the Element though; there's a lot more available (that I think is nicer).
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey I'm in the exact same situation. I started riding in 1995 and haven't bought a board since '98. Just bought the element rx and looking forward to testing it out.

While I have read a few negative comments on here about the board, they were nearly all from linvillegorge.
Hopefully I have a better experience than he did.
ware4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've owned a bunch of boards and I can honestly say that the Element is by FAR the least durable.

I have nothing bad to say about the board as far as ride goes. It rode great and you're hard pressed to find a more beautiful board, but unless you're just a groomer cruiser, you're gonna beat the shit out of that thing.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

@ snowolf, thats what i figured, i mean ive been riding a nitro magnum from like 2004 or something like that so Im excited to mixed it up.. the only other descent board ive ridden is a Ride Timeless which a buddy of mine has, and i definitely noticed a difference, but nothing where I felt like a fish out of water.. and @ linveilleorge im basically a groomer cruiser as I ride the east coast mainly.. vermont and upstate NY, and go about 8 times/year which i know sucks.. so im pretty sure I'll get a good lifespan out of the Element.. Thanks for the input everyone!
jrdoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, 8 times a year of groomer cruising you'll be just fine with the Element.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Snowolf that's a helpful post. I'm thinking of going C2 this year but have ridden camber for a long time. I worried I'll get on one and hate it but it sounds like it isn't too bad.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

As others have suggested: a few runs and you will get used to the looseness of the board. It is most evident skating to the lift and at slow speeds, once you get it on edge you will find that you are still snowboarding. There are soo many rocker variations out there, some are really loose, some are closer to camber, your Element is fairly loose but rides very "catch-free" when flat baseing and strong on edge when driving a turn...enjoy it.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote