NS Raptor 164 and 165 lbs - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Raptor 164 and 165 lbs

Hello guys!

Firstly a little bit about me: I've been riding since 2001 and I've tried about 20-30 boards so far. Generally I love to do deep-carved turns and ride by leaps and bounds. There's only one reason why I didn't direct myself to hardstuff - it's a passion to be on a board in a couloir, so roughly speaking it's a passion for broadly defined freeriding. Notwithstanding groomy days predominate over pow days, let's say: 3 days on groomers and then 1 day of off-piste.
I'm 6 ft and weigh 165 lbs.

The problem: after lots of time of thinking I decided to purchase NS Raptor 164. And yes, I know.. I bought a pig in a poke; because, even, by mischance I hadn't tested the board last year!

The question: how the board would behave under my weight in my style of riding? Generally I ask about the carving, fast turns, issues of centre of gravity (will it be essential to lower it in comparison to 159cm?), etc.
Let's just skip the part of powder riding, because I guess there's no much talk about it.

I'll be really grateful for Your help,
cheers,
Kita.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

That board will be AWESOME for everything you ride.....even POW!!!
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, the trend in snowboarding is toward smaller and smaller, but for your riding style I don't see a problem here. It's definitely big, but if you like to ride balls to the wall and a lot of powder, then go for it.

As for carving, it'll be awesome.

Fast turns? Not sure what you're talking about here. If you're talking about big sweeping turns going balls to the wall, then again, it'll be awesome. If you talking about being nimble in the trees, well, it's a big ass board. The RC profile will help here, but it's still a big ass board. You're gonna have to muscle it around a bit.

Center of gravity? It's not going to make a bit of difference. The weight difference between a 159 and 164 is going to be negligible in terms of COG.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride oversized boards for my weight also.

If you're not a park rat, a larger board doesn't hurt.... You adapt and throw it around the same as people with shorter boards. But on the pow days, you get to ride the same board with less effort.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Uff.., You calmed me down. I see there's nothing to worry about.
No, no, no, I'm absolutely not a park rat.

But let me dig a bit more..
Hipothetically if I had two Raptors (a 159 and 164 like above), which one would have better edge hold in terms of carving or even in terms of carving resembling extremecarving (at least in theory)?
Keeping my weight (165 lbs) in mind: a 164 has a longer effective edge, but on the other hand during a really sweeping turn my centre of gravity is far away from the board which makes the edge of 164 more unweighted comparing to the same situation on 159. And then come the other asepcts like centrifugal force for example. Which would be more stable? A difference would be noticeable?

Hell! I just read what I had written and realised it'll be hard to answer me, besides testing both boards by myself (what doesn't seem to happen soon).

Thanks - You're good guys, You're truly helpful!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 164. Alpine carving boards are routinely 10+ cm larger than what most people typically ride.

You gotta remember, the faster you're going and the harder you're carving, the more force you're going to be exerting. Your 165 pound body is going to be exerting a lot more force than that in a high speed carve.