What to get - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile What to get

Hi, Im pretty new to the snowboarding world. I went three times last year and loved it but I didnt buy a board.
So right now Im looking at a set up and I was wondering if somebody could tell me if this is good or if there is a better board and bindings for the same price since Im pretty tied financially.
Here is my setup: Salomon Ace Magnum 158, and Burton Freestyle Bindings Large.
Now I am around 6'0"-6"1" and I weigh about 155 pounds, and my shoe size (not my snow boot size) is around 11.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
NickShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickShake View Post
Hi, Im pretty new to the snowboarding world. I went three times last year and loved it but I didnt buy a board.
So right now Im looking at a set up and I was wondering if somebody could tell me if this is good or if there is a better board and bindings for the same price since Im pretty tied financially.
Here is my setup: Salomon Ace Magnum 158, and Burton Freestyle Bindings Large.
Now I am around 6'0"-6"1" and I weigh about 155 pounds, and my shoe size (not my snow boot size) is around 11.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Hi Nick,

What year is the deck you are considering? These are fine boards with the new Aces sporting lifted contact points (cam rock or Rocker-camber-rocker). If you are looking at the older decks (I believe all of the magnums are older) then you may want to consider some newer profile designs which are available from the last few seasons at tremendous pricing.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well Im not entirely sure what a cam rock or what a camber is, but it does say that its a 2011 board. I can give you a link so you can make sure. Also, if you wouldn't mind explaining to me what a cam rock or Rocker-camber-rocker is. Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Here is some info on that. The original Aces were normal camber and they then switched to Rocker-Camber-Rocker, but I believe that this change only occurred this season (2012).

From our FAQ pages:

Are you confused by all of the new Rocker technolgies that have emerged in the last 5 years?

Well you are not alone. While there are easily 30 varieties of rocker, camber and hybrid profiles now on the market, these are some the most common and some notes on how each might effect your riding experience.

Traditional Camber

Pros - Tried and true performance. Great rebound which helps transition from edge to edge and also adds to pop for ollies etc. Longer running surface means good speed and edge bite in carves. Boards can be ridden shorter than some other designs without sacrificing running surface.

Cons - The contact points of the effective edge (roughly the boards wide points) are in constant contact with the snow. That can mean caught edges and some hard take downs.

Rocker

Pros - Easy turn initiation. Lifted wide points even when weighted means less caught edges. There are many varieties of this design which include various degrees of rocker, asymmetrical rocker (nose lifted more than tail, rocker center point shifted more towards tail, etc.) and multi-stage rocker.

Cons - Lost running surface, lost rebound, lost edge grip (many rocker designs get around this by using other design elements to add grip back in).

Flat

Pros - Maximum Stability. Longer running surface. Boards can be ridden shorter.

Cons - No inherent rebound. Without additional measures these boards tend to feel less lively. The contact points of the effective edge (roughly the boards wide points) are in constant contact with the snow. That can mean caught edges and some hard take downs.

Camber-Rocker-Camber

Pros - Reestablishes much of the lost running surface inherent to camber and some of the rebound. There are many different varieties of this design which alter the placement of the camber and rocker elements as well as the dimensions of those elements.

Cons - Potential for more catchy spots due to the multi stage profile.

Rocker-Camber-Rocker

Pros - Reduces the issue mentioned above from traditional camber where the wide points create catch spots. Good rebound.

Cons - less running surface than conventional camber.

Flat with lifted contact points

Pros - Reduces the issue mentioned above from Flat where the wide points create catch spots. There are many variations of this design. Some have so long a flat spot that they are very close to flat. Others have so little flat spot that they might better be called "Rocker with a little flat spot".

Cons - less running surface than Flat.

Flat-Rocker-Flat

Pros - Reestablishes much of the lost running surface inherent to camber and some of the rebound. This design has a little smoother weighted profile than Camber-Rocker-Camber...

Cons - ...but a bit less rebound and pop.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 11-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

So what would you reccomend I get for something like a rocker where I can hit some jumps and powder and all that jazz while still maintaining within the $250 range?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

people used to ride and do all sorts of stuff on cambered boards. you dont necessarily need a rocker or hybrid board. with that said, i did enjoy the hybrid rocker i rode last year.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Still seeing as I am buying this to use it for a few seasons and money is kinda tight Id rather get something with better technology in it. Anyways does anybody know of any specific models I should look at for around $250?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

rocker and hybrid is not better technology. but i know what you mean. Atomic Hatchet is my go to board. labeled as beginner but i still rock it after 7 years of riding. and their hyrid profile is awesome. its mostly camber but still fun. I demoed one last year and love it. i might pick one up again this year and have 2 hatchets.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I cant find anything about Atomic Hatchets. Does anybody else have any advice on what I should get or should I just stick with the Salomon Ace Magnum with traditional camber?