Gnu vs Roxy-differences? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

female Gnu vs Roxy-differences?

I will be purchasing my second board today. This will be my third season. I had listened to my ex-boyfriend when buying my gear originally and ended up with a Salomon Tracker 155(2008), Burton Mission bindings(mens) and K2 Raven boots(which I now realize are too big-hence causing unnecessary heel lift. Now that I have been on this board enough, I have realized that it is too wide/heavy/long for me. So, this summer I have researched and researched some more and had narrowed it down to three boards.

2012 Roxy Ollie Pop-151
2012 Gnu B-Nice-151
2011 K2 Va Va Voom-148

I currently ride mostly groomers and some pow(if I am lucky ;-) and will hit the park on occasion, but haven't really done much there, just kinda jibbing around like a moron. I would like a good medium flex board that can hold it's own on hard pack snow and do OK in the park, as I would like to eventually ride more there. I would perfer it to be able to keep up with the boys in the pow pow as well.

So, I have one shop INSISTING I buy the K2, saying that I will have MUCH more fun on a zero cambered board with 20% rocker. Then I have a guy at the local board shop INSISTING I will love the Ollie Pop, b/c of the hybrid camber, so I will still get a little bit of the pop I am used to. I have read NOTHING but perfect reviews on the B-Nice, so that is obviously a board I am leaning towards as well.

The current board I own has developed me into quite an aggresive rider, so I wouldn't get bucked off...it's just WAY too much board for me. I want something I am going to have more fun with.

My specs:

5'6", 150 lbs

I really need to get the board today, b/c the shop is holding the Ollie pop and the B-nice for me currently and they are selling quick. Thanks guys!
DethKookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From your riding style, it sounds to me like the Ollie Pop would be the better choice between the two the shop is holding; you'll still have some pop with playfulness. It's C2BTX whereas the B Nice is only BTX.

I haven't ridden any of the boards you listed but have a B Pro C2BTX and my first board was very much like yours - heavy/long.

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in on this for you.

Good luck!
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply! From what I have read, it seems the Ollie Pop and the B-Pro are pretty comparable; just the fact that Roxy plastered their name on their's and jacked the price up ;-)
I'm not a huge fan of Roxy(not that they don't make quality gear, but the fact that I visualize pre-teen screaming girls everytime I see their logo). But, I do want to support a company who devotes everything ladies! Gotta let the world know that we wanna rip it up too :-)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hey DethKookie,

Kindly post up your foot size as well. We have all of the Gnu and Roxy models in stock and will be happy to take some side by side model shots for you if that would be helpful.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, they're both Mervin boards so similar tech..could be off on this but I *think* the difference is waist width and maybe the base (?).

Haha yeah that image of screaming pre-teen omg girls is why I didn't go with a Roxy board. Plus Barrett has been ripping it since before those girls were born.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Opps, sorry. My boot size is 7 womens.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethKookie View Post
Opps, sorry. My boot size is 7 womens.
The B Pro 152 would be a terrific choice for you. You do want C2 for your riding style and if you prefer Gnu to Roxy, then the B-Pro will be a perfect choice.

Happy riding!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks! On of the main reasons I would perfer the B-Pro to the Ollie is the price difference. However, the shop is small, so they do charge shipping to have something ordered that they do not carry. After paying for shipping, the cost would be about the same for either board. Plus, the fact that they said it would take a few weeks for the Pro to arrive. With opening season being this weekend, I don't know if I can be patient enough. So, unless the Pro has something more to offer than the Ollie as far as technology applies, than I probably should just stick with the Roxy.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethKookie View Post
Thanks! On of the main reasons I would perfer the B-Pro to the Ollie is the price difference. However, the shop is small, so they do charge shipping to have something ordered that they do not carry. After paying for shipping, the cost would be about the same for either board. Plus, the fact that they said it would take a few weeks for the Pro to arrive. With opening season being this weekend, I don't know if I can be patient enough. So, unless the Pro has something more to offer than the Ollie as far as technology applies, than I probably should just stick with the Roxy.
The B-pro is typically sold as the more expensive of the two boards. It uses Mervin's highest end female specific construction. Is one of the two decks an old season model?

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just checked out the price on the pro and yes it is higher. I was getting it confused with the B-Nice, which is @ the $399 range. Since the Pro is more, I best stick with the Ollie on my budget, especially considering I will need to now purchase new boots this yr as well >:/

Thanks for all the help! I'm pretty confident going with the Roxy, just wish I were more comfortable shelling out $450 ;-)