New Board for the wife Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board for the wife Advice

Hello all. Thanks in advance for any help provided. My wife's stats are 5'8", 145 lbs, size 9 women's boots. She's intermediate to advance and does mostly groomers and free ride. Here's my problem. She currently rides a 151 burton troop that's 4 years old so I bought her a 149 Never Summer Infinity as a Christmas gift. I went down a size because I kept reading that ns boards ride longer than their size indicates. However, all the sizing calculators keep saying how I should have gotten an 151 or 153. Also, with the bindings on, there is 1" toe overhang and 1" heel overhang which I don't think should be a problem. Would she be ok with a 149 or should I buy a 151 and try to sell the 149 and lose some money? Thanks!

Cliffnotes: Bought wife a 149 ns infinity and am having second thoughts about size. Should I have gotten a 151 instead?
braintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

She'll be fine with a 49. She'll just have to learn to keep her stable at higher speeds if they like to go fast. I started my wife opposite with a shorter board and just got her a longer board this year. I think she'll be surprised how much easier for her to ride the longer board.
onel0wcubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by braintree View Post
Hello all. Thanks in advance for any help provided. My wife's stats are 5'8", 145 lbs, size 9 women's boots. She's intermediate to advance and does mostly groomers and free ride. Here's my problem. She currently rides a 151 burton troop that's 4 years old so I bought her a 149 Never Summer Infinity as a Christmas gift. I went down a size because I kept reading that ns boards ride longer than their size indicates. However, all the sizing calculators keep saying how I should have gotten an 151 or 153. Also, with the bindings on, there is 1" toe overhang and 1" heel overhang which I don't think should be a problem. Would she be ok with a 149 or should I buy a 151 and try to sell the 149 and lose some money? Thanks!

Cliffnotes: Bought wife a 149 ns infinity and am having second thoughts about size. Should I have gotten a 151 instead?
Hi,

At 145 size 9 and for freeriding and for groomers, she would be happier with the 151 and would likely appreciate the 154 more than the 149. While camber - rocker - camber decks do ride longer than full rockered designs, they do not ride longer than traditional camber. Has the deck been used yet?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi,

At 145 size 9 and for freeriding and for groomers, she would be happier with the 151 and would likely appreciate the 154 more than the 149. While camber - rocker - camber decks do ride longer than full rockered designs, they do not ride longer than traditional camber. Has the deck been used yet?
Thanks for all the help so far. The board is still new. The problem is that the shop that I purchased the board at only does exchanges and there is nothing I would exchange it for. Selling it and taking a cash hit would be the only way I could get her a larger size
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by braintree View Post
Thanks for all the help so far. The board is still new. The problem is that the shop that I purchased the board at only does exchanges and there is nothing I would exchange it for. Selling it and taking a cash hit would be the only way I could get her a larger size
Got it. Posibly approach them and see if they can get an alternate size from NS. You might also have luck contacting NS directly. They will both (retailer and manufacturer) want you to be stoked with your (sizable) purchase and will want to make sure that you get the ideal size. There is no sense spending big $ on anything other than the perfect fit and to be straight with you, that is not what you have.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Got it. Posibly approach them and see if they can get an alternate size from NS. You might also have luck contacting NS directly. They will both (retailer and manufacturer) want you to be stoked with your (sizable) purchase and will want to make sure that you get the ideal size. There is no sense spending big $ on anything other than the perfect fit and to be straight with you, that is not what you have.
Honest question here. Is the 2cm THAT big of a difference?
Wired of course you are the guru here hence I'm asking.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Honest question here. Is the 2cm THAT big of a difference?
Wired of course you are the guru here hence I'm asking.
Hi,

For the groomers and freeriding that you described i would actually have suggested the 154 for her specs. So, while she could flex down one size and still enjoy herself, the 149 would be less than ideal. It is not simply the length but flex, width etc that com into play.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi,

For the groomers and freeriding that you described i would actually have suggested the 154 for her specs. So, while she could flex down one size and still enjoy herself, the 149 would be less than ideal. It is not simply the length but flex, width etc that com into play.
Yes I understand that, hence I asked. Seeing as 154 would be preferred I get that 149 is now two steps down. Got it
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Got the GF a GNU B-Pro 155 for freeride, she thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread . She loves the magnatrax especially on days with variable conditions and stiff enough to plow through big piles of snow and crud with ease.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I spoke the shop and they are not able to get a 151 infinity but theres one other option. I can trade the board in for 154 never summer proto for me and order her new board online but I think it may be a too big. I'm 5' 8", 145 lbs, 8.5 shoes size, intermediate skill free rider? Any idea if the size would work? Thanks again!