New board for me?!?!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board for me?!?!?

Hey everyone,

I started looking into the boards so that I can find something less expensive used or from last season at the end of this season..

I just got a Lib Tech Dark Series 06 used from a buddy, and got the chance to try it for a couple of days already this season. The board came with '10 K2 Formula bindings and I also got new Nike Vapen boots size 10,5...

I will have plenty of time to ride on the east coast this winter and although I'm not much capable of park yet I'm pretty good doing bomb runs. I used to rent the full sets from the resorts, so this board has been a big upgrade for me and believe it or not, I could totally feel the difference as far as the balance and control on ice.

So I'm planning to use this board as much as I can this winter and by the end of season, get a new board that is either brand new, or used little bit. I don't have a price limit, but prob wouldn't want to pay more than $500.. I can keep my K2 Formula bindings because I think they're decent bindings and they're spotless... The boots - I'm happy so far, but just realized that I'm having some heel lift - I'll find a solution for that later..

The other idea would be to get into park this season more and learn it - I'm pretty sure it will be a blast, and get a board for park and keep the libtech.. As I understand the dark series is not the best for park?

So what do you guys think? Which way should I go and what brands-models should I consider? This is like a preliminary research to understand what I should be researching about, so if you guys could throw away some ideas, that'd be awesome!! BTW, I'm 6.0 and 200 lbs - and killer graphics don't really matter as long as the board performs very well.

Thanks!!!
druj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you like the board keep it and start a quiver. If you want just one board and not a quiver then yah you'll need something versatile. Are the boots properly fitting? You said heel lift but do your toes reach the end of the boot?

Heel lift is a bitch. Once I got any good (I'm not good but once I started not sucking so bad) heel lift fucking sucked. Trying to make fast turns and your foot shifts in the boot while your board keeps going where it was headed (usually somewhere dangerous). I wouldn't fix that later. I'd fix that NOW. Like today.

At $500 you have your choice of boards. Your mind will change 10 times before you buy one
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
If you like the board keep it and start a quiver. If you want just one board and not a quiver then yah you'll need something versatile. Are the boots properly fitting? You said heel lift but do your toes reach the end of the boot?

Heel lift is a bitch. Once I got any good (I'm not good but once I started not sucking so bad) heel lift fucking sucked. Trying to make fast turns and your foot shifts in the boot while your board keeps going where it was headed (usually somewhere dangerous). I wouldn't fix that later. I'd fix that NOW. Like today.

At $500 you have your choice of boards. Your mind will change 10 times before you buy one

the boots I really didn't understand to be honest.. The toes are touching the end of the boot, and I feel it's snug.. very snug actually.. I may be just pushing the boots too much in black diamonds ... I might just get a J Bar or whatever they are to take care of this or wear thicker socks.. The things about the boots is, I paid $200 and that was above my limit to pay for a boot, I wore other brands & models but this one seemed comfyy

as far as the board, I feel like I should try it in park before I buy anything.. dunno.. just want something newwwwww
Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Someone once suggested a small wad of newspaper shoved into the back of your boot to help prevent heal lift.
Sean-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The dark series wasn't designed for park (mostly freeride) but dont let that stop you from doing whatever you want with it. Park boards are generally a much softer flex than freeride boards like the dark series.

Heel lift blows and it will only get worse. invest in boots that fit and then worry about the board.

it you dont want to spend more than 500 pretty much every company makes boards for less than that and really nice ones too. top of the line boards will run you 600+ then good board sare 400-500 then mid range is 350-400. but that is all brand new stuff. You can usually pick up last years models for 50-75% or that. most good park boards run right around 400-500

that being said arbor, never summer, and lib-tech/gnu/rossignol boards all have some form of "extra grip" sidecut that is supposed to be better on ice.

lib/gnu/rossignol are all under the same parent company, quicksilver, so they share a similar tech. "magnetraction," which is a wavy side cut with 5-7 bumps in the side cut.

arbor has "grip-tech" which a bump on either side of both binding areas

neversummer has "vario" side cut which i think has flat spots in the sidecut but im not to sure ive never ridden one.

ride, capita, rome, flow, forum, k2, burton. all make cool boards in that price range as well.

to make it easy the arbor blacklist 157 is probably one of the most versatile park oriented boards out this year and gets thumbs up from about everyone who rides it.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
The dark series wasn't designed for park (mostly freeride) but dont let that stop you from doing whatever you want with it. Park boards are generally a much softer flex than freeride boards like the dark series.

Heel lift blows and it will only get worse. invest in boots that fit and then worry about the board.

it you dont want to spend more than 500 pretty much every company makes boards for less than that and really nice ones too. top of the line boards will run you 600+ then good board sare 400-500 then mid range is 350-400. but that is all brand new stuff. You can usually pick up last years models for 50-75% or that. most good park boards run right around 400-500

that being said arbor, never summer, and lib-tech/gnu/rossignol boards all have some form of "extra grip" sidecut that is supposed to be better on ice.

lib/gnu/rossignol are all under the same parent company, quicksilver, so they share a similar tech. "magnetraction," which is a wavy side cut with 5-7 bumps in the side cut.

arbor has "grip-tech" which a bump on either side of both binding areas

neversummer has "vario" side cut which i think has flat spots in the sidecut but im not to sure ive never ridden one.

ride, capita, rome, flow, forum, k2, burton. all make cool boards in that price range as well.

to make it easy the arbor blacklist 157 is probably one of the most versatile park oriented boards out this year and gets thumbs up from about everyone who rides it.
Thanks a lot for all the explanation. It definitely thought me a lot!!!
I'll be looking into the Arbor blacklist and do some research, or prob go and see it in a board shop.. I see myself in the future with multiple boards for different conditions and riding.. This sport is soo addicting!!

When it comes to Dark Series though, I was really satisfied with the performance I got. The board just felt ride when riding, so much control all over the place... It might be just me because I didn't ride a decent board before this one...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I got a 154 blacklist for this year upgraded from a parkstar and I love it. Being a midwide I feel I have that much more space to ride a rail or box with, also just butter around on the flats. I also own a NS SL like your dark series made for freeriding, and so far I think I have the best two board quiver.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

so just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a stiff board vs a softer board if I'm mainly going to be doing bomb runs. What I'm trying to understand is how differently board reacts to the terrain, and what I would feel as a result..
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

You will be much more stable and be able to carve at high speed much better on a stiff board. A stiff board is much less forgiving of inexperience however so beware.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurf View Post
You will be much more stable and be able to carve at high speed much better on a stiff board. A stiff board is much less forgiving of inexperience however so beware.
Thanks Snurf. I'm extremely happy with my board and I love it for bombing runs.. Can't go fast enough..! I'm actually in the look for some friendly competition so that I can improve myself.. With all my friends I lose sight of them almost immediately when we're bombing down.