Intermediate is looking for freeride equipment - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Intermediate is looking for freeride equipment

Hi,

until now I was always riding rental equipment and never watched for the brands or models. So can`t really tell what I was on so far.
I`m snowboarding since 12 years rather irregular 10-14 days a year. I'm looking for freeride board, bindings and boots. The last years I was mainly riding groomers (carving) and some powder. But i would like to start exploring backcountry and more powder and improve my riding. No park/pipe for me. At the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the technologies and brands, so I hope to get some help whats right for me here.

I found a three burton boards so far I like and seem right for me:

- Burton Barracuda 157
- Burton Sherlock 157
- Burton Process FV 157

1.81m (5'9'')
65kg (143lbs)
size 9 or 9.5

Any thoughts or hints would be highly appreciated!
Thanks a lot
simonoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoz View Post
Hi,

until now I was always riding rental equipment and never watched for the brands or models. So can`t really tell what I was on so far.
I`m snowboarding since 12 years rather irregular 10-14 days a year. I'm looking for freeride board, bindings and boots. The last years I was mainly riding groomers (carving) and some powder. But i would like to start exploring backcountry and more powder and improve my riding. No park/pipe for me. At the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the technologies and brands, so I hope to get some help whats right for me here.

I found a three burton boards so far I like and seem right for me:

- Burton Barracuda 157
- Burton Sherlock 157
- Burton Process FV 157

1.81m (5'9'')
65kg (143lbs)
size 9 or 9.5

Any thoughts or hints would be highly appreciated!
Thanks a lot
a little brand wh0re we got here huh

I would get a custom X
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do a search here on this site or with the board specs and get the size right for your weight. 157 is a bit big IMO
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKiT View Post
a little brand wh0re we got here huh

I would get a custom X
haha...yeah, i had expected that. sorry, had no time to investigate the other brands yet. i hoped somebody would point me to something from a different brand. unfortunately i think the custom x is a little to expensive for me. :-\

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Do a search here on this site or with the board specs and get the size right for your weight. 157 is a bit big IMO
Thanks for the advise. I looked at the specs and i'm in the weight range for 157...but also for the next smaller size. so rather take the smaller size if possible?!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 5'11" and 175lbs and ride a 158. 157 and 143lbs seems a bit big... IMO

Different board, different weight range. Many factors to consider/ask here. Sometimes easier for OP to do some searches/research before outright asking others to do it for them.
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Still doing research. Just wanted to check if i'm on the right track or get directions what to look for. Just so much stuff to known and think about. Probably should have left out the sizes for now.

My personal favorite was the barracuda, because it seems like a good allrounder. I thought it could help me improve in powder and backcountry, because it would be easier to ride in these conditions and still perform well on groomers or hardpack.

But it seems like I should rather look at the custom x. I actually thought it would be to stiff and not ideal for powder!??!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a Sherlock and really like it for both east and west conditions, good all around, a little sketchy in icy conditions, for which I have a concave board.

Haven't ridden one but barracuda is very pow oriented, If you are out west it might be a better choice, but won't do park or switch ride very well I expect.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Custom X. It's a great board. For powder, I'd get something else. In my experience, there's a strong tendency for the stiff flex + camber to bury the nose in the deep stuff. Custom X is a good board in pretty much any other snow condition.
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want to go with a bigger board go for it it will be tough at first but you will be better with a bigger board once you get the hang of it.

any of those burton boards would be very cool. personally, im not a fan of the channel system so i tend to steer away from burtons, but they are a solid board other than the channel.

Basically you will want a directional twin board preferably with some sort of directional rocker camber combo, it needs to be on the stiff side as well

good burton alternatives in your price range:

Ride Berzerker 155 -$490
K2 Turbodream 156-$480

or if you can swing the cash:

Lib-Tech La Nina 156-$570
Never Sumer Heritage 155-$550

If i could afford another board i would get the berzerker or la nina
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote