NS Proto has the same tech as..? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto has the same tech as..?

The proto is a Bi-Directional Twin and the Heritage is a Direction Twin, however their techs are EXACTLY the same:

Proto & Heritage:
STS Pretensioned Fiberglass
Bi-Lite Fiberglass
NS SuperLight Wood Core
CDS Damping System
Sintered P-tex Sidewall
Durasurf XT Sintered 5501 base

Where as the SL has:
STS Pretensioned Fiberglass
BI-Lite Fiberglass
NS Custom Flightcore <- DIFF
RDS 2 Damping System <- DIFF
Sintered P-tex Sidewall
Durasurf Sintered 4501 base <- DIFF

I understand their dampness and flex are all different, but my main question is this:
The Heritage and SL are recommend over the Proto if the indivdual spends more time on the mountain, I ask why? The heritage and proto have the same tech, shouldnt they perform about the same?

I spend almost all my time on the mountain, but am going to start moving into the park more and more. The proto seems playful and should be just as good as the heritage for bombing mountains?

And why would I go for the SL when it doesnt have a badass topsheet

Last edited by milk; 12-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.
milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the proto will absolutely bomb everything you point it at no problem. Just the heritage will do it slightly better, but the proto will be slightly better in the park.

the SL is cheaper than either of them.

The flex and shape (directional vs true twin) make all the difference in ride.

Here you have 3 boards that are about the same but defined by their shapes and flex.

Last edited by Riley212; 12-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
the proto will absolutely bomb everything you point it at no problem. Just the heritage will do it slightly better, but the proto will be slightly better in the park.

the SL is cheaper than either of them.

The flex and shape (directional vs true twin) make all the difference in ride.

Here you have 3 boards that are about the same but defined by their shapes and flex.
Exactly. For example, although both the Heritage and the Proto use STS the application of it for each board may differ based upon shape (bi-directional twin vs. directional) and desired flex patterns for each design/model. Same with most of the other tech specifications listed although not all. Both boards have the SuperLight wood core but because they are different shapes, the core itself may be built differently for each board but still be within the SuperLight specification design requirements.

Generally speaking a directional board is going to be a bit more versatile across various terrain/conditions, thus the assumption that the Heritage or SL will be better if you spend a lot of time on the mountain (in a variety of terrain).

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok so there is a difference, but how big is it?

Will i notice it?
milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post
Ok so there is a difference, but how big is it?

Will i notice it?
Between a Proto CT and a Heritage? Yes, I think you would notice it and it would be a big difference. The Heritage is a board designed more for free riding and the Proto CT is more a freestyle board that will also work as a park board. As with most manufacturer's, NeverSummer boards will function across more than one type of terrain. The best way to illustrate this is to take a look at NeverSummer's website and the graphic in the top-left corner that shows the type of riding/terrain each board is designed for: Snowboards | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

From your initial post, if you are an all-around rider and wanting to get into park more but not have it be your primary riding I would think a Proto CT would be perfect for you. If you were interested in more free riding but still be able to do some freestyle, the SL maybe a good choice (it is what I've ridden for years now). If you're not going to be in the park at all, want to bomb big runs, play in deep powder all day, etc., then the Heritage is the way to go.

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote