Quick question about waxing. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick question about waxing.

Hey guys,

This is going to be the first time season regularly waxing my board. I know that you need to coordinate you wax with the temp you will be riding in, but i have a question. If you had warm temperatures, but a sudden cold-front blew in. Would using a different wax for cold temps after say one day on the warm temp wax affect the riding of your board?

Thanks
aubzobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think so. I use the same wax from the start of the season til the end and its bound to differ from nov to april
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Will it affect the speed attainable by your board? Of course.

Will you notice a difference? not very likely.

It will be marginal unless the temperature is REALLY drastic. Any wax is always better than no wax.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

In my first year i was doing that (bought a KUU 'multi-pack' thing) and i noticed a difference when using 'warm' temp wax early in the season and forgetting it was on during the first really cold day. It was a little slower while skating.

Now I just use the "all temp" one, it works well enough in all weather. I use the leftover "warm weather" stuff to store my board in the summer. I guess that name still applies.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just my opinion but I think the benefits are relatively small. Are there benefits? Yes. Will the average rider notice them? Probably not. If you are entering a boarder cross event where the difference between winning and losing will be measured in seconds or sub-seconds, then yes temperature appropriate wax and other performance/tuning tricks may be advantageous. If there is a 10 degree temperature swing that reaches across two different temperature waxes and you'll be riding groomers and park on your local mountain, probably a situation where you will not notice a significant impact. That is not to say you won't notice some change, just not a significant one to make worrying about it that big a deal.

For me, I like tuning my boards so I'll wax them quite frequently through-out the year. Probably more than is needed but I enjoy spending the time waxing, scraping, tuning, etc. and for me it is just a part of the ritual of snowboarding. Drinking few cold ones while doing it also helps. So I'll take a look at the forecasts, take an educated gamble on approximate temps and riding/snow conditions for the upcoming weekend, and I'll use the temp appropriate wax. Am I fooling myself that it actually matters for my style of riding? Probably but I enjoy the hell out of it so who cares.

Just a tip - If you have a local shop, talk to them about waxing techniques, etc., to learn a bit before you start doing it yourself. It is not terribly hard but there are some simple mistakes you can avoid that at worst will make it easier/quicker and at best save you from damaging the base of your board. There are good online resources to for waxing/tuning if you don't have a shop nearby.

Good luck!

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Exactly. NiceJoe concurs with MeanJoe.

It's a ceremony. I put on a shred flick in my basement and usually stretch it out over a few hours. If I have a big trip I'll let the wax cool overnight to ensure it's 100% dried into the pores. It's usually not necessary (depending on the wax) but I just like knowing that I've got great coverage.

One rookie mistake is using too much wax. I did that for far too long. I worried at first that I wouldn't get enough coverage. I ended up sloshing wax all over my sidewalls and even on to the top coat.

Another thing: Wax can be extremely messy. If you're not doing it in a garage, put a sheet or blanket down to catch the shavings.

If you like the process of waxing, check out "One Ball Jay Graphite All Temperature" I think it may be called "Black Magic" or something like that. The bar is black. If the base of your board isn't black, it makes it really easy to ensure you got it all off, as it leaves black patches. It's a great wax, but it wears off quick so I end up waxing after every outing.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ha! I'm good for one "over wax" per year, usually first wax of the season when I've not waxed a board in 9 months and I put too much down. I end up scraping...and scraping...and scraping...and cursing myself for doing this AGAIN...and scraping...and scraping.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

ideal wax temps are matched with snow temps by juggling 2 numbers for the most part. the low from the previous night, and the high when you are riding.

there are several posts around the interwebs on this, factors like humidity, shade and wind can come into play if you are super crazy about it. the main thing is if the temps plunged during the night before or if they are holding steady.

i'm still learning about this but considering the previous nights low and the high when riding seems to make sense.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alright thanks guys. The info you gave was quite useful.
aubzobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubzobot View Post
Alright thanks guys. The info you gave was quite useful.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. 90% of my knowledge base is this forum. Even if a few people give you hell, there's always 10 behind them willing to assist.