Board Recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Recommendation

Hi, I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate and was interested in opinions on a new board. I currently have a cheap Lamar 154 Ultra, but splurged a bit on bindings (Flow Five) and boots (Burton Imperial). I typically go to Wolf Creek, Tahoe, and Ruidoso.

I'm planning a trip to Wolf Creek this January and was thinking about upgrading to a longer board for powder/all around mountain riding. I don't have any plans to hit the parks yet, just the slopes. I'm 5'8"/160lbs and have seen different sites recommend a max length of 156-158. I've seen a couple of Burton Custom 158's on craigslist, but don't want to get something that's too long for my ability that will just throw me off, as I've gotten quite used to not biting it every run

Based on the above, would anyone recommend this type of board (Burton Custom) and/or length (158)? Is there a particular board & size that would be close to 'ideal'? Thanks for your input.
atomicjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjive View Post
Hi, I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate and was interested in opinions on a new board. I currently have a cheap Lamar 154 Ultra, but splurged a bit on bindings (Flow Five) and boots (Burton Imperial). I typically go to Wolf Creek, Tahoe, and Ruidoso.

I'm planning a trip to Wolf Creek this January and was thinking about upgrading to a longer board for powder/all around mountain riding. I don't have any plans to hit the parks yet, just the slopes. I'm 5'8"/160lbs and have seen different sites recommend a max length of 156-158. I've seen a couple of Burton Custom 158's on craigslist, but don't want to get something that's too long for my ability that will just throw me off, as I've gotten quite used to not biting it every run

Based on the above, would anyone recommend this type of board (Burton Custom) and/or length (158)? Is there a particular board & size that would be close to 'ideal'? Thanks for your input.
I'm 5'9" 155 lbs and have been riding for 15 years at 25-30 days a year. A Burton Custom is a good type of board and 158 is good length for you your weight and riding preferences (all-mountain and powder). If you've been reading, there is a craze on reverse cambered or rockered boards... they are great... but go ahead and buy used to save some cash and spend your money on lift tickets and lessons instead of the latest fads.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I'm 5'9" 155 lbs and have been riding for 15 years at 25-30 days a year. A Burton Custom is a good type of board and 158 is good length for you your weight and riding preferences (all-mountain and powder). If you've been reading, there is a craze on reverse cambered or rockered boards... they are great... but go ahead and buy used to save some cash and spend your money on lift tickets and lessons instead of the latest fads.
Thanks, that's very good advice. Do you know if Flow bindings will work with Burton boards? Any other recommendations?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
...don't want to get something that's too long for my ability that will just throw me off.
board size actually has little to do with ability and more to do with your weight so that you use a board within the parameters its made to perform well under.

Picking a board is about picking one for the kind of riding you want to do and each of the major manufacturers, including Burton has a board (or more than one) that might work for you. Sounds like you're a free ride, all mountain kind of a rider so just look for that type of board. The Burton Custom certainly fits the bill.

I have to say that i don't agree with lonerider's "fad" comment. I rode a cambered board for years and years and recently switched to a hybrid camber board. This is no fad - it makes the board easier to ride under most conditions. The Custom is a great board but its a directional cambered board and for what its worth, given your skill level, I think you might have more fun on some other boards.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's very good advice. Do you know if Flow bindings will work with Burton boards? Any other recommendations?
That's a good question - if the Burton board is the 3-hole pattern and not the ICS channel system (two big slots along the axis of the board) then yes... I looked up the Flow Five and it has 3-hole compatible discs.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeDad View Post
board size actually has little to do with ability and more to do with your weight so that you use a board within the parameters its made to perform well under.

Picking a board is about picking one for the kind of riding you want to do and each of the major manufacturers, including Burton has a board (or more than one) that might work for you. Sounds like you're a free ride, all mountain kind of a rider so just look for that type of board. The Burton Custom certainly fits the bill.

I have to say that i don't agree with lonerider's "fad" comment. I rode a cambered board for years and years and recently switched to a hybrid camber board. This is no fad - it makes the board easier to ride under most conditions. The Custom is a great board but its a directional cambered board and for what its worth, given your skill level, I think you might have more fun on some other boards.
Fad might have been a strong word (as I am riding a RC board myself and I like it), I just meant that while it is a useful feature... I don't think it is worth spending hundreds more dollars to get and I didn't want to be like the Big Screen TV salesperson steering him towards a more expensive board being like "well 1080i 2D is pretty good... but it's only $200 more to go to 1080p, $100 more to go to 120 hz, $100 more for 3D, $100 more for the thiner bezel... cuz that thin bezel looks nice doesn't it? $100 more for the local dimming LEDs..., etc " (I just bought a new TV).

So the next question is.... what year is the Custom (it might be a Flying V Custom and this debate will be moot)? and how much is the person asking for it... here what I think are decent prices for a used Custom

2011 Custom V-rocker $250-300 (depending on condition)
2010 $200-250
2009 below $150-200

Last edited by lonerider; 12-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

LOL, i think the TV forum is a different one! I see what you're saying, though.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if the burton has their channels system(instead of 3hole inserts) its usually pretty tough to fit non burton bindings, did your flows come with different plates?

You will want the extra length, don't be scared of it, the extra few cm aren't gonna make you fall down more.

otherwise keep our eyes peeled for boards from other companies-arbor, ride, k2, capita, neversummer, gnu, libtech, rome, salomon, forum. Usually you can find data or description of older boards for these companies on the internet. Look for key words like "all-mountian" "directional twin" "stiff flex". or just ask the person selling it if it has any of these features.

Im guessing you dont live in Sacramento area but here is an example of a good board for you

Mens Snowboard 157cm
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeDad View Post
Thanks for the tips, I hadn't considered other types of boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Fad might have been a strong word (as I am riding a RC board myself and I like it), I just meant that while it is a useful feature... I don't think it is worth spending hundreds more dollars to get and I didn't want to be like the Big Screen TV salesperson steering him towards a more expensive board being like "well 1080i 2D is pretty good... but it's only $200 more to go to 1080p, $100 more to go to 120 hz, $100 more for 3D, $100 more for the thiner bezel... cuz that thin bezel looks nice doesn't it? $100 more for the local dimming LEDs..., etc " (I just bought a new TV).

So the next question is.... what year is the Custom (it might be a Flying V Custom and this debate will be moot)? and how much is the person asking for it... here what I think are decent prices for a used Custom

2011 Custom V-rocker $250-300 (depending on condition)
2010 $200-250
2009 below $150-200
Ha, great analogy! I definitely get what you're saying. Unfortunately, all of the boards I've found on craigslist come with bindings and/or sleeves, and none of them specify the year so this may be difficult to determine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
if the burton has their channels system(instead of 3hole inserts) its usually pretty tough to fit non burton bindings, did your flows come with different plates?

You will want the extra length, don't be scared of it, the extra few cm aren't gonna make you fall down more.

otherwise keep our eyes peeled for boards from other companies-arbor, ride, k2, capita, neversummer, gnu, libtech, rome, salomon, forum. Usually you can find data or description of older boards for these companies on the internet. Look for key words like "all-mountian" "directional twin" "stiff flex". or just ask the person selling it if it has any of these features.

Im guessing you dont live in Sacramento area but here is an example of a good board for you

Mens Snowboard 157cm
The flows did come with plates...if only I knew where I put them. I may have to order some. For some reason when I think longer board I think "faster" and "less control", which based on my past experience, equate to spectacular blowouts! Maybe I just need to try a larger board first to get over this.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I hadn't considered other types of boards.

Ha, great analogy! I definitely get what you're saying. Unfortunately, all of the boards I've found on craigslist come with bindings and/or sleeves, and none of them specify the year so this may be difficult to determine.

The flows did come with plates...if only I knew where I put them. I may have to order some. For some reason when I think longer board I think "faster" and "less control", which based on my past experience, equate to spectacular blowouts! Maybe I just need to try a larger board first to get over this.
you can always ask the person what year the board is. You could ask for the board only as well. They might not tell you, but it can't hurt to ask. Also if you go to backcountry.com they have an archive of old board so you can compare topsheet graphics .

Longer boards generally require more properly applied energy to control, so of you are lacking in weight or training they can be "too much board" for you at the moment. Still you should be able to ride a 158.