Storage Wax Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Storage Wax Question

Now that the season is finally here for us East Coasters (been stuck just looking at the Colorado web cams the last month+) I took my boards out for their pre-season wax session and did something new this time around. Rather then waxing the new boards purchased in the off season and just scraping my storage wax off of my boards from last season I decided to hit my boards that were in storage with a quick re-heat of sorts while I had the iron out.
My question is: What do you guys do with your storage wax once the next season comes around???
Has anyone else "Re-waxed" their board by reheating the storage wax they put on many months prior?
Is there any real benefit from doing this second coat of sorts or is it just overkill?

Thank in advance.

Did search but couldn't find this mentioned in any of the wax/general maintenance posts.
Mods please move to wherever you see fit.
Thx.
--bigtime-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

storage wax? Did you use a different wax than your normal? I usually just wax at the end of the season without scraping, then just scrape at the start of the next season and it is good to go.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Reheating it probably gets a bit more wax into the pores. Can't hurt, not necessary though IMO
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just scrape it and ride
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I guess if you used some sort of weird cheap wax for storage to save on costs (why would you really, come on) then you'd need to remove it before re-waxing.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
storage wax? Did you use a different wax than your normal? I usually just wax at the end of the season without scraping, then just scrape at the start of the next season and it is good to go.
Nope, didn't use anything speacial for storage. Always just use my brick of Hertel Hot Sauce. My reasoning in my head was, "you've got the iron out and hot already, why not give the stored boards a pass over too. Might add more wax into the base and spread what may have been clustered up"
--bigtime-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by --bigtime-- View Post
Nope, didn't use anything speacial for storage. Always just use my brick of Hertel Hot Sauce. My reasoning in my head was, "you've got the iron out and hot already, why not give the stored boards a pass over too. Might add more wax into the base and spread what may have been clustered up"
it may actually hurt your board your board absorbed wax over the past however many months and by heating it again you melt the wax and it leaves the pores only to seap back in... IDK if what I'm saying is totaly true but I know the longer the wax sits on the board the more absorbed and think about cleaning your board using a Hot scrape same idea sort of?!
civic2tegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic2tegg View Post
it may actually hurt your board your board absorbed wax over the past however many months and by heating it again you melt the wax and it leaves the pores only to seap back in... IDK if what I'm saying is totaly true but I know the longer the wax sits on the board the more absorbed and think about cleaning your board using a Hot scrape same idea sort of?!
I don't think there is such a thing as overloading your base with wax is there? You want as much to get in as it will hold
Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as overloading your base with wax is there? You want as much to get in as it will hold
Yeah I think my post was confusing I was just trying to say just scrape it off you'll be fine
civic2tegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic2tegg View Post
No, this is only true if you are really anal about matching wax to conditions which is really only for alpine racers and isn't really applicable for most recreational disciplines. I used to keep blue and red wax to match conditions but now I just use Hertel Hot Sauce all the time. The only exception is once the snow goes spring corn, you may want a special additive or a graphite based wax, especially if you are trying to clear jumps.

If you are trying to get out old wax from different conditions, you may do a wax and scrape to prep it so you are putting in all one type to match the current conditions. But again, this isn't usually applicable. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter. Just scrape it off and ride or you can run an iron over it if you prefer to do a warm scrape.

Bases get faster as you continue to wax them (since most snowboarders don't change wax for conditions) and a sintered constructed base can gain lots of speed by absorbing wax over its lifetime with repeated waxings.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote