Jones Flagship vs. NS Raptor - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Flagship vs. NS Raptor

Would appreciate any opinions on the above choice. The Lib La Nina MC is a distant third.

I'm 5'10", size 9 boot, around 170 fully geared to ride. Riding style: powder, trees, steep/fast groomers. Mix of resort and sidecountry. I consider myself a conservative expert rider - ride nearly anything in bounds in Tahoe, and some stuff outside. My board leaves the ground sometimes - mostly cornices and natural features - I hit the park only with my kids. I ride a 2010 Burton Custom X 160 most of the time. It's a great board, but not so hot in deeper powder. Traditionally after/during storms I ride longer boards (168 Supermodel from 2000), but would like something a bit more maneuverable in the trees without giving up float. Seems like with hybrid rocker/camber designs folks are now able to size down a bit and still float the board well.

I've narrowed it down to the Raptor and the Flagship. The main use would be powder days, mostly inbounds - some chop later in the day. Secondary use would be hunting stashes in trees inbounds and sidecountry. Both get good reviews, and I would likely be happy with either. But..they're very different. Different rocker/camber hybrid designs, different edge treatments, etc. According to reviews, very different levels of damping.

Has anybody ridden both? Any comments that can help break my stalemate? Thinking I'd get the Flagship in a 161 or the Raptor in a 159. Comments or opinions on sizing appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help here!
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

The camber profiles are also very different....throwing that out there too as I like both boards.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep - pretty much opposite rocker/camber - Flagship is camber between bindings, rocker tip and tail. Raptor is rocker middle, camber tip and tail (offset towards the rear though).
Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bump. Any help here? Really want to get the Raptor, but am concerned that I'll be giving up float/powder performance vs. the Jones.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've ridden the raptor (164) and I'm the exact same size and weight as you and I found it to be too stiff to be fun in varying conditions. It's exceedingly fast and it carves on untouched groomers well but the torsional stiffness make it harder to turn, mainly in medium-short radius turns. I also found it harder to manuever/slash turns in powder—when trying it feels like a fucking cruise ship. I also had problems with uneven terrain—with edge slippage when it wasn't flat—I think it's just wasn't optimal. I felt like it suffered from the worst parts of camber and rocker.

Like snowolf said, it takes a bigger person to take advantage of this board—I think a better choice would be the Premier F1 or Heritage as they aren't carbon semi-alpine planks and would likely yield better results for powder—and in your price range you could probably check out the fish if you're thinking really only powder days.
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Exactly the feedback I was looking for. I was looking at the Premier F1 as well - but thought the Raptor's rear-offset RC profile would give it an edge in powder. Your comments make perfect sense though. Looking primarily for powder days, but want to resist a pure pow board - don't want to have to change boards mid-day in resort.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was pretty disappointed in the raptor, I thought it'd be super awesome as it's their halo model but I found the F1 to be much more suited to varying resort conditions—I see the niche for the raptor and how people would have fun with the board but it wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Another thing is the F1 has the best board graphics in the NS lineup—
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

its my impression that those two boards are more for straight up backcountry riding, huge open faces and lines on spines and stuff.

here is a review of the rossignol experience which is almost the same as the flagship from what i hearRossignol Experience Review - 2012 Snowboard Reviews - Board Insiders Rossi Experience review - YouTube

another to look at would be the lib tech birdman

i would go with a smaller softer board like the jones hovercraft or capita charlie slasher

Last edited by Riley212; 12-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

im looking for a pow day stick with the same riding criteria, i dont know what to get, just something effortless in pow but probably a normal shaped tail, but not too stiff, i felt the ns f1 did really well in the deeper stuff, i guess anything rocker in that category is gonna float really, something light would be nice ... when they talk ultra-light, how much lighter is that?
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeboarder View Post
im looking for a pow day stick with the same riding criteria, i dont know what to get, just something effortless in pow but probably a normal shaped tail, but not too stiff, i felt the ns f1 did really well in the deeper stuff, i guess anything rocker in that category is gonna float really, something light would be nice ... when they talk ultra-light, how much lighter is that?
Charlie slasher?
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote