I need help with choosing a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need help with choosing a new board

Hi,
I could use your help with finding a new board for myself. I would say I'm intermediate/advance level, riding for about 8 years, couple of weeks a year. I already got a headache from all those new information. I've never cared much for a brand/board I was riding on, and always let someone else picked up a gear for me. So I don't know much about specifications, and I'm really lost...
I'm 156 cm (5.1), 140 lbs, shoe size 7.
I would like a all mountains board, I don't jump, don't go to the park/pipe just riding down the slopes. I can spend up to $500.
I was looking for those boards..

GNU B-Street BTX
GNU B-Pro BTX
K2 Eco-pop
ROME Lo-Fi Rocket
ROXY Ollie pop

which one would be the best for me? Or maybe there are some other I should look at?
And how about the length? I started with 143 and end up with 152 last year and I think it was too long and to massive for me. Is 145/146 the best choice?
I don't know if that matters but I have a Burton Lexa bindings I would like to use with a new board.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thank You
agatenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i vote K2 Eco pop 148, it won the good wood and best of test awards, which are usually pretty accurate at picking good boards. and the graphic is pretty cool.

but im a dude and haven't ridden these.
Riley212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, for you vote!
I'm still not sure about the size, I know I'm a little bit on the heavier site, but I'm pretty short. 5 feet 11 inches. I rarely ride on powder, that's why I was thinking something shorter.
I have to make up my mind really soon.
Anybody else out there, want to share their opinion?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agatenka View Post
Thanks, for you vote!
I'm still not sure about the size, I know I'm a little bit on the heavier site, but I'm pretty short. 5 feet 11 inches. I rarely ride on powder, that's why I was thinking something shorter.
I have to make up my mind really soon.
Anybody else out there, want to share their opinion?
Did you mean five feet 1 inch, because 5'11 is fairly average.
aubzobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah You right! Sorry, I'm European so no matter how hard I try I still have a metric system in my mind . So, I guess it should be 5'1.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From your style, I'd cross the B Street off your list. That's full banana and not as suited to your riding style.

If you're looking at the new B Pro, it has C2BTX which is fun (I picked up the B Pro late last season). Check the size charts on their site; I wouldn't go too short on that one. The 146 weight range is between 80lbs-150. The 149 goes up to 160 from what I remember.

If you rarely ride powder, I'd cross the Eco Pop off the list, too. Pretty sure it has a set back and is directional. Might want to double check that on their site.

The Roxy Ollie Pop is a board a lot of people seem to like. Roxy and Gnu are made by Mervin so they have similar tech. The bases are different but the Ollie and the B Pro will have magnetraction and C2BTX. There might be a difference in flex, too..can't remember. The B Pro is a stiffer board compared to what's out there.

Sorry - I don't know anything about the Rome.

Edit: You're 5'1"...I don't know how much that factors in to board length. Weight is definitely more important but I understand your concern with a board being too long for you. Hopefully someone can answer that better than I can. For example I'm tall but light, which is why I went with a 146. But I learned on a 151.

Last edited by EatRideSleep; 12-07-2011 at 11:28 PM.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank You. It helped very much.
Now I'm torn between Gnu B-pro or K2 eco pop. ( Both directional twin )
I've read a whole bunch of articles and watched multiple reviews. People seem to like them equally.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank You. It helped very much.
Now I'm torn between Gnu B-pro or K2 eco pop. ( Both directional twin )
I've read a whole bunch of articles and watched multiple reviews. People seem to like them equally.
The Gnu B Pro being a directional twin is something I've been confused by..on the Gnu site it says directional but on the size chart spec sheet it is listed as a true twin. For my purposes it doesn't matter, but it's something I've wondered about. No shop person has been able to answer that yet (should have asked here haha).

Anyway, at least you have narrowed it down to only two boards! If they're both the same to you, maybe let the graphics decide. Oh also...the B Pro does not have a full edge wrap (not on nose or tail) so that might be something to consider.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know exactly what you mean. The same here. I was confused about the directional twin. Like you said on Gnu site it says directional but I on thegoodride.com I found that "They made the board a true twin instead of a directional twin and refined the C2 BTX"

What I like better about Gnu is the magne-traction - might help on icy groomers
K2 - I like the graphics better and is a little bit cheaper.

Still deciding...
But I think I'll go for the GNU
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. The same here. I was confused about the directional twin. Like you said on Gnu site it says directional but I on thegoodride.com I found that "They made the board a true twin instead of a directional twin and refined the C2 BTX"

What I like better about Gnu is the magne-traction - might help on icy groomers
K2 - I like the graphics better and is a little bit cheaper.

Still deciding...
But I think I'll go for the GNU
Yeah, who knows with Mervin. I've always thought of them as the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory of snowboarding - they've been making good product for a long time but have an odd way of presenting things. Which is cool; I mean it as a compliment (and bc I really imagine the factory is like that! haha).

I've called there before and CS is super. I forgot to ask about the directional twin/true twin though.

Magnetraction will help on icy groomers without being too grabby from my experience. I definitely felt it but it wasn't overwhelming, which I liked. If you ride conditions like that, the little bit more in price for the Gnu might be worth it. If not, the K2 is there on a little less in price and graphics. Have you seen both boards in person? I thought the B Pro graphics looked a little different in person than in catalogue and online. Not bad, just different. Same thing with last season's.

Keep us posted on which you decide to go with!