Beginner looking for an "advanced" board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner looking for an "advanced" board

I'm new to snowboarding and want to buy my own board now. Despite my experience level, I want a board thats more sophisticated and beyond my existing abilities. The reason is I did learn pretty quickly my first few times snowboarding and I don't want to limit myself with a beginner's board. I usually do real well with physical/sports activities I try to learn so I'm not worried about getting frustrated with a more advanced board. My budget I would say is around $500, but of course, if I can save a few bucks, that's always good. From the research I've done and the experiences I've had, I want a shorter length snowboard around 145cm to 149cm. I'm 5'7" 140lbs. I like to have a wider stance because that's where i feel most comfortable for now. I don't have a preference yet on which foot is my lead foot, but when I was messing around my first few times I went snowboarding, I felt comfortable with both and I like being able to ride switched. So a true twin board is preferred. I enjoyed TRYING to learn some tricks. I go snowboarding with friends that are mostly beginners so I will still be riding every run on the mountain with them and some powder. N

So basically, I'm a beginner/intermediate snowboarder that is serious about the sport and want to learn tricks at the park but still want an all around board that does well in powder. I'm not looking to go super fast, I want a board I can have great control over. For now, I want to be able to switch quickly and smoothly, do butters, decent carving capabilities, and in the future jumps, rails, and boxes.

I went to a few local shops and they recommended these:

-Lib Tech Box Scratcher 2012 147cm
-Never Summer EVO 2012 147cm
-Yes Jackpot 2012 149cm or 146cm

When I rented before I rode a K2 World Wide Weapon and I really liked it but I want to know if there are better options out there for what I'm looking for.

I'm still learning the terminologies, so sorry if my explanation is hard to follow. Also, it's crazy there are so many different technologies these boards claim and it's making my head hurt, so now I'm here, asking for help thanks for any info!
djglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Expect to read the words "Proto CT" over and over again in this thread

Isn't 145-149 on the small side for your height/weight?
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

152 Flow Verve or same size Signal Park Flat.

Wont kill your wallet and are great first boards to start on. Wont limit you in the long run as well.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djglitch View Post
I'm new to snowboarding and want to buy my own board now. Despite my experience level, I want a board thats more sophisticated and beyond my existing abilities. The reason is I did learn pretty quickly my first few times snowboarding and I don't want to limit myself with a beginner's board. I usually do real well with physical/sports activities I try to learn so I'm not worried about getting frustrated with a more advanced board. My budget I would say is around $500, but of course, if I can save a few bucks, that's always good. From the research I've done and the experiences I've had, I want a shorter length snowboard around 145cm to 149cm. I'm 5'7" 140lbs. I like to have a wider stance because that's where i feel most comfortable for now. I don't have a preference yet on which foot is my lead foot, but when I was messing around my first few times I went snowboarding, I felt comfortable with both and I like being able to ride switched. So a true twin board is preferred. I enjoyed TRYING to learn some tricks. I go snowboarding with friends that are mostly beginners so I will still be riding every run on the mountain with them and some powder. N

So basically, I'm a beginner/intermediate snowboarder that is serious about the sport and want to learn tricks at the park but still want an all around board that does well in powder. I'm not looking to go super fast, I want a board I can have great control over. For now, I want to be able to switch quickly and smoothly, do butters, decent carving capabilities, and in the future jumps, rails, and boxes.

I went to a few local shops and they recommended these:

-Lib Tech Box Scratcher 2012 147cm
-Never Summer EVO 2012 147cm
-Yes Jackpot 2012 149cm or 146cm

When I rented before I rode a K2 World Wide Weapon and I really liked it but I want to know if there are better options out there for what I'm looking for.

I'm still learning the terminologies, so sorry if my explanation is hard to follow. Also, it's crazy there are so many different technologies these boards claim and it's making my head hurt, so now I'm here, asking for help thanks for any info!

Well, I'm rather bias, but the snowboard I just bought is quite Steeezed out for the price. Ride Machete - the one board in your quiver do all kinda stick. It says it's geared more towards intermediate and up riders, but if you checkout youtube there's some reviewers who point out the playfulness of the board and the versatility of it make this shred wagon a great board for all abilities. The Machete also won BEST WOOD (Transworld Snowboarding) and other awards two years running 2010 and 2011, so it's worth looking into. 2012 model is about $500, but if you can find the 2011 like I did, you may just be able to pickup one of the top boards of the year for $370 bucks. --This is what I did.

One very important piece of information I would pass onto you from my experience of buying a new board is to do a lot of the research yourself. Everyone in this forum has a preference or may like a certain board just because of the SICK graphics. I know of a rider or two who bought his snowboard because the base looked out of this world. Didn't care about anything else. Spend time on youtube, search the globe and find out what real people who have ridden this board and similar boards have to say about it. Not everyone is getting paid by Ride or Burton to provide insight on the boards. YOUTUBE is amazing for answers. Shop guys from all over will give you detailed info about a boards best uses and what a new rider like yourself might want to strap into. Now's a perfect time to look for last year's model boards. This is not just with respect to the Ride snowboards, but with respect to all snowboards that have now been out in the market and 'proven' solid or a lemon product. One other reason I went with the 2011 Machete is because there were a great many more reviews and credentials were backed up and proven. I already know I bought a sick board. If you get a 2012, you may find it to be bunk because most every aspect of info you receive about new production products is directly from people who will just tell you what you need to hear to buy the board. Look into last year's models, especially if you're a beginner. Sick deals!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

My chick is 5'3" 120 lbs and she rides a 147. Seems small right? Anything that size will feel "less advanced" once you begin progressing. Anyhow - I suggest you demo those three.

Last edited by SnowSource; 12-08-2011 at 03:56 AM.
SnowSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I 2nd the machete

some other boards to look at could be the arbor westmark or draft. the westmark is like an all over freestyle and the draft is more of a jib.

you could handle a 150 no problem.

a good place to see reviews is the BoardInsiders youtube channel.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

A good board for around your size would either be something like the Flow Verve which somebody already said or the Flow Infinite 2012
NickShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Walk into snowboard store, if you like the graphics on a board, pick it up and stand it on end in front of you, if it is between your shoulders and your chin, buy the snowboard, leave shop, and go snowboarding.

Snowboarding is not rocket science, but it seems like it's going that way, only I have to wonder why....
Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There is a really good chance that no matter what you buy now, you'll want to change it in a while. Your ideas of how you think you will ride, and what you think you want to ride change as you progress.
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bataleon Evil Twin would be fun for you.
yojik is offline   Reply With Quote