Meh, call me a fanboy but I try to patronize companies like Neversummer and Mervin if they have a decent product that fits my needs. In Neversummer`s case, I think they could mushroom and become just another Burton if all they cared about was making as much profit as possible. They don`t though. They are not hiring reps (I have tried to become a paid mountain rep for Mt. Hood) as they can`t hardly keep up with current demand.
Maybe I am just being naive, but I like the idea that at a time when the 1% are fucking over the other 99% every which way they can, outsourcing our jobs, destroying the environment, yada yada yada, that there are a few companies that are trying to stay true to their roots. They provide jobs to Americans and make a high quality product.
I know the quality of many of the imported boards is probably just as high but for me that is not the point. I would rather see an American have that job for a reasonable wage in an environmentally regulated, safe plant than some 8 year old child in a Chinese factory that is killing the planet. That employee then has buying power that stays here at home and benefits other local businesses.
If I am a fanboy for this ethic, so be it. I guess I might be a bit of a fanboy for Mervin too for the same reason. Any company that is going to put my fellow Washingtonians to work rather than outsource has my vote. Boeing has pissed me off for this. They have outsourced a ton of work to countries like India and China and laid of workers at the Everett and Renton plants. Its ironic that "foreign" companies like Airbus and Toyota often hire more Americans that Boeing and GM.
Back "in the day" I used to also look for the "Union Label" when shopping too. I guess I have always been a bit of sap that way. It`s a little thing I know but if every company started doing it, maybe we might have an economy again in this country...