Does size matter? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Does size matter?

ok, before everyone starts to explode about how different board sizes and how it affects your riding and all this stuff.... just hear me out.

I've decided i want to buy an Arbor Blacklist. I cant decide whether to choose the 154 or the 157 because i dont know the difference. as of now all i know is there is slightly more stability with speed and a bigger edge for better carving on the 157 but its slightly heavier. the 154 has less swing weight so spins are easier and weighs a bit less. My question is: will it make a (noticeable) difference in powder or while free riding?

I am 6'1" and weigh 155 lbs. boot size is 11.5.

how is spend my time:
25% powder
35% park
40% free riding (or whatever else there is to do)

Thanks for helping me out!!
explorerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

this sentence is for length requirement
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

go with the 157, i dont know if the float would be very noticeable, but the edge hold sure will be.

ive ridden a 156/7 since i was 14 and weighed 130 lbs, never have had problems. now i weigh 165 and still ride a 157
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

The blacklist is a freestyle oriented board so i would go with the 154. Then again. If you're looking for more edge hold and more stability go with the 157

Last edited by rdot84; 12-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.
rdot84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerD View Post
ok, before everyone starts to explode about how different board sizes and how it affects your riding and all this stuff.... just hear me out.

I've decided i want to buy an Arbor Blacklist. I cant decide whether to choose the 154 or the 157 because i dont know the difference. as of now all i know is there is slightly more stability with speed and a bigger edge for better carving on the 157 but its slightly heavier. the 154 has less swing weight so spins are easier and weighs a bit less. My question is: will it make a (noticeable) difference in powder or while free riding?

I am 6'1" and weigh 155 lbs. boot size is 11.5.

how is spend my time:
25% powder
35% park
40% free riding (or whatever else there is to do)

Thanks for helping me out!!
From what I learned recently, the shorter you go with board length the less stiff the board is going to be with flex. From what I understand, a shorter boards effectiveness has more of a result on how sore you are by the end of a POW day. You can handle POW on a freestyle board, but you'll feel the pain. And just for spinning reference, I'm a beginner freestyler who up until a week ago was 'spinning' a rozzy 168w in my basement for practice on a wood beam. So pick your poison because every board length comes with a drawback, also dependent on your skill level in the pow and spins. You want easier time on pow days or spinning? Neither board will stop you from doing either.

Maybe it's because I was used to and learned to shred on a 168, but I found that my new 161 Ride Machete is a great length for every use on the mountain. Even this feels tiny under my feet, lol. I would think that those guys riding a board that short are not having much fun on POW... considering how my 168 handled it and how the Machete kills it at 161. I wouldn't wanna go any smaller because I can see how that would be a nightmare by comparison in the pow on a double black narrow chute.

P.s. I'm the same weight, height and half inch longer foot, so if I can spin a 168w beast made over 12 years ago, then either a 154 or 157 is gonna work for you!!! I'd personally recommend the 157 because my thoughts are that a rider can put more effort into spinning a bit heavier longer board. Riding pow all day can be difficult for some.

So to sum it up, yes that short of a board is going to affect your powder riding and if that's something you spend a majority of your time doing, I'd cater to that or you'll be pissed after an 8 hr day of riding through 50 cm pow dump.

Last edited by Peaceryder; 12-07-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Peaceryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceryder View Post
From what I learned recently, the shorter you go with board length the less stiff the board is going to be with flex. From what I understand, a shorter boards effectiveness has more of a result on how sore you are by the end of a POW day. You can handle POW on a freestyle board, but you'll feel the pain. And just for spinning reference, I'm a beginner freestyler who up until a week ago was 'spinning' a rozzy 168w in my basement for practice on a wood beam. So pick your poison because every board length comes with a drawback, also dependent on your skill level in the pow and spins. You want easier time on pow days or spinning? Neither board will stop you from doing either.

Maybe it's because I was used to and learned to shred on a 168, but I found that my new 161 Ride Machete is a great length for every use on the mountain. Even this feels tiny under my feet, lol. I would think that those guys riding a board that short are not having much fun on POW... considering how my 168 handled it and how the Machete kills it at 161. I wouldn't wanna go any smaller because I can see how that would be a nightmare by comparison in the pow on a double black narrow chute.

P.s. I'm the same weight, height and half inch longer foot, so if I can spin a 168w beast made over 12 years ago, then either a 154 or 157 is gonna work for you!!! I'd personally recommend the 157 because my thoughts are that a rider can put more effort into spinning a bit heavier longer board. Riding pow all day can be difficult for some.

So to sum it up, yes that short of a board is going to affect your powder riding and if that's something you spend a majority of your time doing, I'd cater to that or you'll be pissed after an 8 hr day of riding through 50 cm pow dump.
im not spending a majority of the time in powder if u look at the bottom of my post. also cant i just set back my bindings a bit for powder days?
explorerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
im not spending a majority of the time in powder if u look at the bottom of my post. also cant i just set back my bindings a bit for powder days?
Poor ,man's alternative. You'll sink eventually
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For your breakdown, I'd go 157.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay, I'll clarify, you're spending 'most' of your time either in POW or freeriding. You do know that good freeriding boards are generally good in pow right? I thought freeriding was generally ripping it everywhere on the mountain. So if your mountain gets dumped on are you not freeriding and riding in POW? If at any point that you're freeriding and it's snowing, are you no longer freeriding? Freeride boards are made for powder, so thus a board made to benefit a rider who likes to freeride is going to feel that same benefit when ripping down a groomer, 3 ft of pow or w/e your personal definition of freeriding is. My old board, a Rozzy 168w was sold as an all-mountain 'freeride' board. Can you guess how it performed in the powder? :P

I merely am looking at the top of your post where you mention by percentage where on the mtn you spend your time. You have to understand that for me, freeriding is pow riding. My local mountain gets dumped on or gets a nice batch of windsift overnight, making most every run a partially powdery experience. I've always thought of pow riding as a major aspect of freeriding. Kinda like jibbing and jumping is freestyle riding.

Last edited by Peaceryder; 12-08-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Peaceryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Id go with the 157. Seeing as I am the same height and weight as you and I ride a 156. A 154 just seems a little too small for me and the 157 will still be good for parks and tricks while the little extra length will be good for more control.
NickShake is offline   Reply With Quote