Is a Lib Tech Skate Banana the right board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is a Lib Tech Skate Banana the right board for me?

I'm a all mountain rider. I need to be able to go fast to keep up with my family who like to bomb down the hill, while at the same time I need a good park board for when I'm with my friends. Lib Tech is a reputable company, and I know their boards are nice, but I have seen some reviews that make it sound like the Skate Banana might be like a "all park" board or something. Is this true? Or should I be fine riding all mountain on this thing?

Let me know, I'm about to buy one for $330 which is a great deal for a 2012 board!
cskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskib View Post
I'm a all mountain rider. I need to be able to go fast to keep up with my family who like to bomb down the hill, while at the same time I need a good park board for when I'm with my friends. Lib Tech is a reputable company, and I know their boards are nice, but I have seen some reviews that make it sound like the Skate Banana might be like a "all park" board or something. Is this true? Or should I be fine riding all mountain on this thing?

Let me know, I'm about to buy one for $330 which is a great deal for a 2012 board!
The skate banana is definitely not an all mountain ride. It full rocker so its not going to be very stable at high speed. If you're stuck on going with lib i would recommend the attack banana or trs.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
The skate banana is definitely not an all mountain ride. It full rocker so its not going to be very stable at high speed. If you're stuck on going with lib i would recommend the attack banana or trs.
Is it better then the other 350 and below boards I'm going to be able to get though? I got it on craigslist for like $170 off and its new.

Any other recommendations? Libtech isn't a must. But I have just heard a lot of good things about what they are doing.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

At that price there isnt much out there thats going to be an all mountain killer. The banana isnt a bad board, its just not going to keep up on the groomers. Its a great park board but i think its a little over hyped. I demoed one and actually went with the Rossignol Retox for my park board.

I would also be careful on craigslist. Lots of scams. Make sure you're in driving distance so you can actually look at the board in person.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea I'm definitely going to go check it out. By not keep up do you mean that i'm not going to be as fast? I don't mind have a "top speed" I just don't want to struggle carving down the mountain. So if its not going to effect my carving too much, and will be decent in the back country/trees, I'm happy
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

A little overhyped? I rode that thing for 2 years straight. It's all marketing. That thing blew, and I tried to like it, it didn't happen.
Don't ever get a BTX from Mervin boards, make sure its a C2 BTX if you want something that can get you down the mountain.

Skate banana feels sluggish when riding it, edge response is moderate, carving is difficult, and its on the heavier side for snowboards. Not to mention its not poppy at all.

It's sub-par for a snowboard but you are getting it for 170.

I'd look elsewhere for a snowboard.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beschatten View Post
A little overhyped? I rode that thing for 2 years straight. It's all marketing. That thing blew, and I tried to like it, it didn't happen.
Don't ever get a BTX from Mervin boards, make sure its a C2 BTX if you want something that can get you down the mountain.

Skate banana feels sluggish when riding it, edge response is moderate, carving is difficult, and its on the heavier side for snowboards. Not to mention its not poppy at all.

It's sub-par for a snowboard but you are getting it for 170.

I'd look elsewhere for a snowboard.
I was trying to be politically correct for all the lib tech fans out there. I personally dont like the banana either but thats what the op is looking at getting. I could easily give a list of better boards in the same price range. But like you said he's getting it cheap.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do either of these sound better?

2010 lib tech mc kink 155

or

2012 GNU Danny Kass C2BTX 158
2012 GNU Danny Kass C2BTX 158cm

I think 158 might be to big though... Im 5'10 170
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskib View Post
Do either of these sound better?

or

2012 GNU Danny Kass C2BTX 158
2012 GNU Danny Kass C2BTX 158cm

I think 158 might be to big though... Im 5'10 170
I'd go DK C2 BTX. 158 is a perfect size for you imho. especially if you're riding it all mtn.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
I was trying to be politically correct for all the lib tech fans out there. I personally dont like the banana either but thats what the op is looking at getting. I could easily give a list of better boards in the same price range. But like you said he's getting it cheap.
I'm getting it for 350. Im open to suggestions though! 400 and below is my range. I have been checking Seattle craigslist for something so I can get a nicer board and bargain the price down =p

I'm 5'10, 170lb, size 11.5 boot.
Currently I just like to shred down the mountain, hit some back country, be in the trees. However, I think I'm going to start getting into park this season. So I kinda need a bit of everything! recommendations?

These are the ones on craigslist =)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search...sk=200&maxAsk=