Powder Board Recommendations Please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder Board Recommendations Please

Nitro Slash
Salomon Sick Stick
Rome Notch

Anyone have experience or feedback regarding the above? Or - any recommendations?

(Not interested in the Slackcountry or the Fish)
SnowSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSource View Post
Nitro Slash
Salomon Sick Stick
Rome Notch

Anyone have experience or feedback regarding the above? Or - any recommendations?

(Not interested in the Slackcountry or the Fish)
The Slash is outrageous. Where are you riding? What is your weight and foot size? Why am I so jealous?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I own both the Slack & Sick Stick. I just picked up the SS and only put one day on it (no pow), so I can't really speak about its powder abilities first hand, but I've got two buddies who swear by the board. What I can say is it's got great edge hold on groomers for a pow board. It feels a bit softer than the slack, but snappier (due to camber and the bamboo probably). My SS will probably become a quiver killer for me as I was damn surprised on how fun it was on a groomer day last weekend. We'll see how it does in the pow though.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Notch is a turd it's just heavy and dead flexing which doesn't make it playful in pow. Sick Stick due to the over abundance of Bamboo is buttery fun in pow but fragile. Check out the Powder Snake instead if you're looking at Salomon cheaper and more durable in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd also look at the Capita Charlie Slasher.

Unbelievable in float in pow and one of the cheaper pow sticks out there. After 10-12 pow days on it, mine is holding up great. It's not a NS in terms of durability, but it's fairing better than I expected.

Plenty good on groomed stuff for a dedicated pow stick. My only real complaint is the camber profile. The soft, kicked up nose and stiff, short tapered tail provide great float, but from the front binding back it's flat camber. For slaying open bowls and sparse trees it's great, but it's a little slow edge to edge in tight trees. You gotta throw it around pretty good. I wish they'd do something different with the camber. Keep that big, soft kicked up nose, but do something different from the front binding back. Maybe even a little bit of traditional camber? I don't know, but it seems like something else would work a little better.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

jones hovercraft-straight up powder board that still rides normal enough on groomers

Lib-tech la nina- 1 inch set back and upturned front end with regular camber in the back, a little heavy tho

Lib tech Birdman- just because i want someone to try it. (i need to find a demo for this thing)

Last edited by Riley212; 12-08-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Notch is a turd it's just heavy and dead flexing which doesn't make it playful in pow. Sick Stick due to the over abundance of Bamboo is buttery fun in pow but fragile. Check out the Powder Snake instead if you're looking at Salomon cheaper and more durable in my opinion.
Hey BA, I've always heard you mention that the Sick Stick is kinda fragile and doesn't hold up as well as some boards do. Is it because the bamboo breaks down quicker or doesn't hold up to as much abuse as other cores?
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The Slash is outrageous. Where are you riding? What is your weight and foot size? Why am I so jealous?
I'm 5'11" 185lbs and sz 11 foot. My "home" mountain is Mammoth, but I make 3 to 4 big trips per year. Typically Colorado or Utah but I try to follow the storms. Making a 7 day Whistler trip in February and a Utah trip Super Bowl weekend. Hopefully I will need a pow board for a couple of these days.

I want a lot of float and a nose shape that planes out really well but I don't want to drag my ass down to the bottom once I get on the packed out stuff.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
jones hovercraft-straight up powder board that still rides normal enough on groomers

Lib-tech la nina- 1 inch set back and upturned front end with regular camber in the back, a little heavy tho

Lib tech Birdman- just because i want someone to try it. (i need to find a demo for this thing)

I wish I had the kind of powder access needed to justify buying the Birdman! I'll have to read up more and learn about the Hovercraft..
Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
Hey BA, I've always heard you mention that the Sick Stick is kinda fragile and doesn't hold up as well as some boards do. Is it because the bamboo breaks down quicker or doesn't hold up to as much abuse as other cores?
The bamboo sidewall doesn't do well with impacts and the flex coupled with the bamboo topsheet causes it to stress crack at the inserts. Love the way it rides not stoked on the lack of durability hence why I'm definitely more the Powder Snake crowd. Plus you can ride around singing powder snake, powder snake, does all the things a powder snake does.