Frostbite, Magnetraction...what does Never Summer have? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frostbite, Magnetraction...what does Never Summer have?

I'm not seeing anything being mentioned on the website for some of the boards. Wondering if the Premier F1 is a good board for the east coast

Last edited by andy_d; 12-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Taken from their website:
Rocker & Camber

Quote:
Never Summer’s patented rocker designed lineup featuring R.C. (Rocker & Camber) Technology and Vario Power Grip sidecut geometry combines a rocker freestyle feel with all mountain high speed performance. Unlike older generation rocker and flat
camber designs that may perform well in powder and parks but lack stability and edgehold when riding fast, our combined rocker and camber (R.C. Technology) design destroys anything in its path from parks to steeps, to powder and high speed cruisers. This technology blends a NS custom rocker profile with separate camber areas at each end of the board, providing unmatched power and snap out of turns. This also provides better board tracking for high speed stability and massive ollies. The Vario Power Grip sidecut works perfectly with this new design by adding increased edgehold precisely where it’s needed most; from 2 inches outside of each binding, inward towards the
center of the board providing added control and response in any condition.
Lots of hyped up terms in this biz, but I think the term you're looking for is the Vario Power Grip. It holds well on ice but is apparently not quite as pronounced as Magnetraction.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's called vario power grip. I am riding a Premier this season. Have only ridden it once so far...but the conditions were not really icy so I can't really tell how well it will do on ice.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Variogrip sidecut which is pretty effective.

IMO, Premier F1 (and the Raptor) would be a bit much for East Coast riding as in addition to exceptional freeriding/carving, they're really designed to blast through deep snow and heavy crap we don't see much of.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

vario grip they call it, Never Summer RC and Vario Power Grip Technology | evo

Effectiveness rating (just my opinion):
1-mervin magnetraction
2-arbor griptech
3-Variogrip/frostbite
4-Quadratic/parabolic sidecuts
(just my opinion)

none of these techs are as good as the companies claim, but they are better than a regular sidecut.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Variogrip sidecut which is pretty effective.

IMO, Premier F1 (and the Raptor) would be a bit much for East Coast riding as in addition to exceptional freeriding/carving, they're really designed to blast through deep snow and heavy crap we don't see much of.
This, I think you'd be better off grabbing either the Heritage or SL if you want a more freeride-centric board.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I rode the Proto last year through some pure ice conditions and disregarding a slip or two because I tried to force the board to fail to see its limit, the board held its edge every time completely blowing me away. I hear magnatraction is supposed to be the 8th wonder of the snowboarding world but I can't see how it can be significantly better than a board than can hold an edge on a ice.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've never had it fail me either, but there have still been times It's sketchy. When it's that bad I tend to ride cautiously anyways.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I currently have a Burton Process V-Rocker and I don't really enjoy riding it. Some of the boards recommended seem more towards reverse camber than camber? I'm more interested in free riding than free style. You guys would still recommend to stay away from the Premier
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Thanks guys. I currently have a Burton Process V-Rocker and I don't really enjoy riding it. Some of the boards recommended seem more towards reverse camber than camber? I'm more interested in free riding than free style. You guys would still recommend to stay away from the Premier
I'd look into hybrids or full cambers.

Capita makes a lot of cambered boards with rockered tips. NS makes the opposite of that. I'm not a huge fan of full rocker either.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote