Waxing new board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waxing new board.

So i just got my new board and I'm looking forward to using it! I'm nervouse I've been waxing my old board a lot in preperation for this but I just want to see if their were any specail technics for the first wax like not using base cleaner or anything along those lines. Any tips on a boards first tune would be great. Also do I have to do anything on the edges or should they be good from the factory?
civic2tegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You can de-tune the tip and tail of your board if you would like, but that is all up to you. Just wax it up as you normally would. Some say you don't need to wax a new board because of the crappy factory coat, but why not....it is brand new right?
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Wax it, scrape it, ride it.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds good guys can't wait! Any advice on base cleaner? Watching Snowolfs youtube video makes me wonder if I should use it on my new board?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If it just came out of the plastic why use a base cleaner I only use it if I am doing a repair on the base. Just detune the tip and tail a bit with a gummy stone and you will be good.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by readimag View Post
If it just came out of the plastic why use a base cleaner I only use it if I am doing a repair on the base. Just detune the tip and tail a bit with a gummy stone and you will be good.
So if your not using the base cleaner should I just wax over whats on it and scrape?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, you can wax it again and again if you want just scrape each time and buff out.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

If it's brand new you don't need base cleaner. Base cleaner is for removing snow impurities from the snow guns, sap, dirt, diesel and oil from snowcats or sleds etc. It makes the wax absorb better by removing these particles which could displace the wax.

Otherwise, use a citrus cleaner like Chief Firewater or something made by Toko, Swix or Dakine. I'd avoid using gasoline, kerosene or other alkane hydrocarbons because this stuff can displace wax in the base as alkanes are paraffin. It's the same stuff you are trying to clean off the base, doesn't make much sense to clean with it.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
If it's brand new you don't need base cleaner. Base cleaner is for removing snow impurities from the snow guns, sap, dirt, diesel and oil from snowcats or sleds etc. It makes the wax absorb better by removing these particles which could displace the wax.

Otherwise, use a citrus cleaner like Chief Firewater or something made by Toko, Swix or Dakine. I'd avoid using gasoline, kerosene or other alkane hydrocarbons because this stuff can displace wax in the base as alkanes are paraffin. It's the same stuff you are trying to clean off the base, doesn't make much sense to clean with it.
Yeah I'm using the Dakine base cleaner now I'm just very reluctant to use it as much as I like to wax.