Board too short? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Board too short?

I recently acquired a brand new board with bindings, the only problem is I think it is a little bit short on me. I what I read is that 166 - 168 is the suggested length for me.

about me: I'm 6' 3" 210 lbs. size 13 foot. I don't do park stuff and for the most part I'm on groomed runs.

the board: 162 cm-ish (don't have it with me just a guesstimate). I don't know the board model but it's an atomic board (rocker) w/ atomic bindings. It literally has not been ridden once and it would be a shame if I have to sell it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
TJFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFunk View Post
I recently acquired a brand new board with bindings, the only problem is I think it is a little bit short on me. I what I read is that 166 - 168 is the suggested length for me.

about me: I'm 6' 3" 210 lbs. size 13 foot. I don't do park stuff and for the most part I'm on groomed runs.

the board: 162 cm-ish (don't have it with me just a guesstimate). I don't know the board model but it's an atomic board (rocker) w/ atomic bindings. It literally has not been ridden once and it would be a shame if I have to sell it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
Is it s wide model? With size 13 feet, you are going to have boot/heel drag issues it it isn't at least a 26 cm waisted wide mode. Do you ride mainly park or freeride on the trails? It sounds a little short.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Is it s wide model? With size 13 feet, you are going to have boot/heel drag issues it it isn't at least a 26 cm waisted wide mode. Do you ride mainly park or freeride on the trails? It sounds a little short.
It's not super wide, I couldn't make a good guess right now but the bindings do hang over right now and they are in a duck stance.

I freeride only.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lonerider makes a good point on the width - that's critical.

As for the board, I'd figure you in the 167+(ish) range for free riding, so that board is definitely short for you. Keep in mind each board is made to perform under a certain weight/load (often listed in specs) based on its designed flex and the "right" size can vary from board to board, but no matter how you dice it you're on the short end.

Basically, if you’re too heavy for a certain board, it can flex too much, resulting in instability, chatter on flats, lack of speed and sluggishness when moving from edge to edge.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFunk View Post
It's not super wide, I couldn't make a good guess right now but the bindings do hang over right now and they are in a duck stance.

I freeride only.
I would guess that it is too short and too narrow for you. If you have a lot more than an inch of overhang on either side, you are likely to get boot/heel drag (you can actually test this by strapping in your boots and seeing how far you can tilt the board before the boot/heel touches the rug). Ideally you basically want it to never happen (even at 90 degrees), but definitely not before 45 degrees.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

What is the board? Many of the newer designs allow you to ride quite a bit shorter then you normally could. As noted above, it sounds like heal/toe drag is going to be the main problem.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wow nobody knows how to read. The board is small, stand on it with your boots on and see how much your toes or heels stick out
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm 6'2, 200lbs, size 12 boots.

I have a 159W Skate banana, 157 NS proto CT, and a 160 blacklist. Gonna toss the nana for a Trice 161.5

Honestly man 166-168 is huge. Only reason I'd ever step up to 164 is for POW (which will never happen in this location). If I wanted a super stable run, I'd just get a stiffer board meant for hard charging as opposed to going longer. Like a K2 slayblade. A 158 slayblade could probably charge like your 162 or maybe even longer.

A 162 should be fine for you. I cant imagine that thing having a waist width smaller than 260mm at that length unless it has deep sidecuts.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Same problem here

Last edited by SnowHitman; 12-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
SnowHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it sounds like it is just too short and narrow. I definitely would have too much toe hanging over, real bummer. I kind of figured it would be seeing as how the guy who bought it was 5' 11", super skinny, and he bought it for himself.

Looks like it's time to see what I can trade/sell it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
What is the board? Many of the newer designs allow you to ride quite a bit shorter then you normally could. As noted above, it sounds like heal/toe drag is going to be the main problem.
I am not really sure of the particular board, it's an atomic brand board. (The design on it has some lady and a bunch of artsy stuff, it's a white board with wood showing in the patterns. bad explanation I know) It's a rocker board and it is definitely new, it was bought February of this year brand new.

Actually the entire reason behind my optimism is that I had heard the same thing about newer boards, and the ability to ride a little shorter.

Last edited by TJFunk; 12-09-2011 at 03:00 AM.