Should I down the size of the NS Proto? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I down the size of the NS Proto?

After a lot of research and opinions in the forum, I have landed on a 157 Proto. After doing a bit more reading, I found out the Proto has a longer edge than traditional boards, and feels longer than it's given size. That being said, should I down the size to a 154?

I am 6", 160-65 pounds, and wear a 10.5 Boot.

Thank you guys <3
Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

What type of riding do you do the most. Tree riding, freeride, freestyle, park?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
What type of riding do you do the most. Tree riding, freeride, freestyle, park?
I live on the east coast, so the conditions aren't too great, but I limit myself from going in the park. It really isn't my thing. I go all around, anywhere that I can have fun. I would best describe myself as an All-Mountain rider, in a literal sense.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Im on the ice coast too. I ride at blue a lot actually. Anyway back on topic. I wouldnt downsize. I actually picked up a proto as well but i got a 154. Im 5'7 and 180 and more of an all mountain freestyle rider. Jumps, jibs, trees, groomers.... For your height and what you're looking to do i would say stay at the 157.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
Im on the ice coast too. I ride at blue a lot actually. Anyway back on topic. I wouldnt downsize. I actually picked up a proto as well but i got a 154. Im 5'7 and 180 and more of an all mountain freestyle rider. Jumps, jibs, trees, groomers.... For your height and what you're looking to do i would say stay at the 157.
That sounds great! I really want to keep this board for years. It seems fantastic! Thank you
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

157 or 154 would do well. Its blunted so it'll ride a bit longer. The effective edge on them is longer (according to the charts on the site).

I believe 157's are sold out at factory so it's a bit of a hunt to find it. In that case grab the 154.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Neversummers do ride a bit longer than comparable boards. I ride a Heritage in a 158 and I am at 185 (190 after too much pizza and beer) and it is plenty. I am now on a Gnu Billy Goat as well as my Heritage. It is a 156 and it is ideal for all mountain freestyle and tight turning in moguls, trees, chutes and yet floats just fine in the chest deep powder we get out here in the PNW. People seem to be stuck on this old idea that you have to have a big board for free riding and that is just not the case anymore.

If it were me only weighing 160-65 pounds, I would jump on the 154 if I could.
Would this account for my growth as well? I made a huge mistake two years ago getting a board that "fit" me well, and for park, and I find it too small now. Now that I am not growing as fast, I want to get the absolute most out of my board, and ride it for as many years as I possibly can. How would you say a NS 157 feels in relation to other boards in general? Also, I am going to gain some weight, for sure, so I won't stay at 160. Thank you very much
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Another vote for a 154. I'm 6'1 190-195 and I ride a 157 and its perfect for me. I think for just regular cruising you will be perfect on a 154, but if you start bombing it every run then thats a different story and your going after the wrong board.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
How old are you? At 6 feet and 160-165 you are pretty height to weight proportional. Unless you start weight lifting and bulk up or go on an eating binge, I don't see a lot of weight gain in the next 5 years. The average rider goes through a board every 1 to 3 years so I personally would not buy bigger expecting to grow into it. Even if you did go up to 180, the board is still going to be okay for everything except deep pow or cruising at warp 9 on groomers. At that time you might want to add a longer cruiser fir speed and pow. This board would then become your park and tree riding stick.
I am 16 in a couple of months. I completely agree about not buying something intending on growing into it, because you won't get the most out of your board until then. And I go to the gym and play hockey, and tend to gain weight/muscle as the season progresses. I am just hesitant because I don't want such a good board to not be suitable after 2-3 years.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

dude i'm 205lbs and i ride a 157 proto ct.
leo is 185 lbs and he rides a 157 ct.

i would say at my weight i the 157 fits me as a all mtn freestyle board. hard charging i can get by with, i'd say it just gets a little choppy at fast speeds. other than that it's fine. it feels like a 159-160. unless you plan on gaining more muscle than me go with a 154. and dude let me just say, i lift a fuck load.

go 154 man.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote