Newbie Question about Selecting Beginner/Intermediate Board and Binding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie Question about Selecting Beginner/Intermediate Board and Binding

Hello everyone:

I am from LA, and this is the first season for me to start to learn snowboarding. After renting for several times, I am deciding to get a starter kit. Here is some stats for myself:

Height: 5'11
weight: 150 lbs
boot size: 8.5

I have bought a pair of Burton Rampant Boots from Ebay for $159. After reviewing the instruction on selecting boards from the other site(forgot the link, but about 8 pages long, and was suggested by this forum), I am thinking about getting a relatively cheap board.

I am going to buy the Burton Clash 155, and a agent from one of the local board store suggested Burton Custom binding to me. If no other better suggestion, I am planning to get them.

The above is just my write-up for the Homework of getting a board, if anyone can give me some advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Hao
hermitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What have you ridden before? What did you like/dislike about the past setups you have used?
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I rent Burton boards several times, they were 152cm-155cm long. I really didn't asked the store which type they were. I have also tried a head board once. Since I am really a beginner, so I don't feel anything special from my past renting experience, they all seems to be smooth, and since I am not riding fast or doing jumps, so I really have no clue on the effect of flex of the board.

Besides, I am confused by the burton ICS mounting system. If I buy the 2010 clash, do I need EST bindings??

Thanks very much for helping me
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

BTW, I think I am looking for a board mainly used on mountains. Thank you very much
Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Snowboards from Departmentofgoods.com

Pick up an Elan snowboard from here. There like 150 bucks.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the sharing I just picked up my 2010 Burton Clash. still need a binding though~ Any suggestion?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the burton customs will work out good for ya. get those
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitman View Post
I rent Burton boards several times, they were 152cm-155cm long. I really didn't asked the store which type they were. I have also tried a head board once. Since I am really a beginner, so I don't feel anything special from my past renting experience, they all seems to be smooth, and since I am not riding fast or doing jumps, so I really have no clue on the effect of flex of the board.

Besides, I am confused by the burton ICS mounting system. If I buy the 2010 clash, do I need EST bindings??

Thanks very much for helping me
You dont NEED the est bindings, there is a conversion kit for regular bindings that your shop will give you for free. But i would recommend getting est bindings if you have the ICS because i feel i get more out of the board when using EST with ICS compared to using regular bindings with the conversion kit.
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bparmz View Post
You dont NEED the est bindings, there is a conversion kit for regular bindings that your shop will give you for free. But i would recommend getting est bindings if you have the ICS because i feel i get more out of the board when using EST with ICS compared to using regular bindings with the conversion kit.
wut?

the clash has the 3 hole inserts. EST is for use with the channel system. so no you dont need est. almost all bindings come with a plate that works with 3 hole

just get the regular burton custom bindings size medium.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
wut?

the clash has the 3 hole inserts. EST is for use with the channel system. so no you dont need est. almost all bindings come with a plate that works with 3 hole

just get the regular burton custom bindings size medium.
haha wow...my bad, read it wrong lol.

but yea hermitman, what that guy said. disregard what i said
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote