Looking for all mtn/free ride board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for all mtn/free ride board

This is my first season of snowboarding and the board I got was the 2011 rome garage rocker. I am pretty poor so I had to get a cheap board. So far it has been wonderful for learning on. It is easy to maneuver and has nice pop. I got it more for park which is cool because I am starting to dive into that part of riding more now. This board is chattery at speeds. It feels pretty unstable when just riding it flat out not on an edge. It wants to shift side to side and buck me off. So I have come to realize this board is good for learning park and that is about it.

So I am looking for a free ride board that I can go faster, hold carves, and be more stable. I feel like the rocker/flat/rocker on my board kinda makes it sketchy at high speeds. Would you recommend a cambered board and one that is a littler stiffer? My boards flex rating is about a 3-4 I think. I am going to try and demo as many boards as I can in the future so I can get a feel for what I like. In the meantime, what are some boards I should be looking at? I want to go faster, have great edge hold, and be very stable. I am not looking for a pow-pow board, but one that could defiantly hold its own if I were to get in some.

So for the run down: Should I be looking for more towards the camber boards? The stiffer boards? I will get a little longer board than my park board for sure. What are some boards to be looking at? I would like to try and keep costs down. Let's just say under $400 would be ideal but I am open to looking at other boards.
ace9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely camber/hybrid if you just want to bomb hills. Camber will be the most stable, but do you ever ride pow or want to? Camber boards won't do too well if that's the case. That's where the hybrid/combo will come in handy..

But damn, it's hard to make decent suggestions with that price range..

What are your stats? Weight, boot size etc.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Definitely camber/hybrid if you just want to bomb hills. Camber will be the most stable, but do you ever ride pow or want to? Camber boards won't do too well if that's the case. That's where the hybrid/combo will come in handy..

But damn, it's hard to make decent suggestions with that price range..

What are your stats? Weight, boot size etc.
I was afraid the price would be tough. Guess I will be open to price for now just to see options. I am lanky. 6'2" and 160lbs. 10.5 boot.

As for the pow I actually don't really care if it can handle it well or not. Would be a plus if it can. I am not looking to do mach 5 down runs, I just want to be able to get some more speed and be able to carve better at speed. Thoughts on a camber/rocker/camber board?
ace9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9213 View Post
As for the pow I actually don't really care if it can handle it well or not
Have you ever rode powder?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

People here are going to say NS Legacy, Arbor Blacklist/Westmark, Lib Tech TRS/T.Rice Pro. If you're looking for the max board at your size and price range—get the brand new Yes Optimistic on eBay, I think it's 295 right now 450+ @ regular price—check thegoodride.com for a lengthy review. I'll tell you, the board is awesome—I rode it last season but didn't pull the trigger and I'm now coveting a Yes Big City.
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2813308004 View Post
People here are going to say NS Legacy, Arbor Blacklist/Westmark, Lib Tech TRS/T.Rice Pro. If you're looking for the max board at your size and price range—get the brand new Yes Optimistic on eBay, I think it's 295 right now 450+ @ regular price—check thegoodride.com for a lengthy review. I'll tell you, the board is awesome—I rode it last season but didn't pull the trigger and I'm now coveting a Yes Big City.
Did you even read the post?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Did you even read the post?
Oops, totally forgot my reasoning—watching breaking bad marathon now.

Get a camber rocker combo board, best of both worlds.
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

The K2 Lifelike is a really good board for the price at <$400.

Consider this too - the Garage Rocker is SUPER soft as it is really a jib specific or urban street board. So getting something in the mid flex range will offer a very noticeable difference and give you the confidence you're looking for when on edge. Going too stiff may set you back to the point where you question your decision.

Some may disagree, but I will make a second suggestion from experience. Although the DC PLY is a cambered "park" board - I find it very stable, very responsive (due to the aggressive sidecut), but also very playful. I'm an aggressive rider and the DC PLY hasn't let me down as an alternative to my more aggressive sticks.
SnowSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride machete. Will be fun in the park and solid on the whole mountain. Get last years board for well within your budget.

I don't know much about the DC PLY but I like what the previous post said. Don't go too stiff sounds like you just want a more do it all board with mid flex.

As an option you could sell the rome and get a more balanced board that will do it all. I have not ridden, but hear great things about the Arbor blacklist. Would love to give it a try.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

there are actually a bunch of boards that fit the bill for ya, both regular and hybrid camber. Regular camber will carve and haul ass better than anything out there. most of the hybrid cambers are still a little loose but i dont mind it generally.

even though your garage rocker sucks when bombing groomers, it will be good in pow.

boards to look at

Rossignol Angus amptek-gets good reviews from everyone who rides it, has a good hybrid camber, has magnetraction and a cool graphic, its good for all types of ridning-$400 new. not many people take rossignol seriously, they make really well designed boards for not a lot of money.

Ride Antic, Pretty much a little cheaper version of the machete, this board should be awesome, flat in the middle with a little rocker at the ends.$400 new

K2 Lifelike-Flat camber, behaves somewhere in between a hybrid and regular. $400 new

Capita Normal Ass Snowboard- regular camber, this thing is actually a really good snowboard for dirt cheap. $380 new

If you can swing a little extra cash the Arbor blacklist/westmark are freakin awesome decks, magic carpet awesome -$420 new

Ive seen last years Ride antic online for about $270 so if you can find that go for it.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote