Never Summer SL vs Proto - what woud be better for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default Never Summer SL vs Proto - what woud be better for me?

My current board is a Burton Process VRocker 152 and I really don't like it. In the last two days I tried...

Evo 152
SL 151
Proto 157
Evo 154
Skate Banana 154
Ride Machete 154

Out of the bunch, I liked the SL and Proto

I'm 170 (plan to lose 20lbs eventually) and 5'8. I think the 157 felt a little too big and 154 seems to be the sweet spot. I also heard that Never Summers ride like longer boards? So a 152 would ride like a 156? Is that true?

Anyway, I'm looking for a all around board. I have 0 interest in doing anything in the park but I'd still like to do some jumps and buttering. I'm leaning towards a Proto but I only had a ride on the longer board for a few runs. Do you guys think that board will do it?

Also what does Never Summer's dampness Meter mean
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 618
Default

I have 12 days on snow with my 154 proto CT.

I'm 5'9" and a 150lbs.

It does not ride like a 156. It rides like the 154 it is.

It isn't a very stiff board and I've caught myself overpowering it several times.

That being said it is a very fun board.

Freestyle first. All-Mtn second. Is how i'd describe it.


If you want a board that is more fun outside of the park (not a pow board) but can make due in the park i'd get the SL.

If you want a board that is more of a park board that can also make due elsewhere (for sure not a pow board) i'd go with the proto CT.

If you live in the park get the EVO.

If you want a pow board go buy a K2 Gyrator or Jones Flagship
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
My current board is a Burton Process VRocker 152 and I really don't like it. In the last two days I tried...

Evo 152
SL 151
Proto 157
Evo 154
Skate Banana 154
Ride Machete 154

Out of the bunch, I liked the SL and Proto

I'm 170 (plan to lose 20lbs eventually) and 5'8. I think the 157 felt a little too big and 154 seems to be the sweet spot. I also heard that Never Summers ride like longer boards? So a 152 would ride like a 156? Is that true?

Anyway, I'm looking for a all around board. I have 0 interest in doing anything in the park but I'd still like to do some jumps and buttering. I'm leaning towards a Proto but I only had a ride on the longer board for a few runs. Do you guys think that board will do it?

Also what does Never Summer's dampness Meter mean
I'm 5'9" 155lbs. Being riding for 15 seasons at roughly 30 days a season. I've owned the 2003 Evo 153, 2008 SL 155, 2009 SL (first year with R.C.) and after demo-ing the 2012 Evo 153(?), Proto 154, SL 153 and 155, I got the Proto CT 154 for this year. I ride the park around 60% of the time, freeride/powder 40% of the time, hence why I switched from the SL to the Proto CT.

I suggest the Never Summer SL 158, only get the SL 155 AFTER you lose 15-20 lbs (which no offense to you... will probably in a season or two).

The Proto CT has blunted tips (as if they sawed off a bit of the material) so a Proto CT 154 has the effective edge of a 156... so I agree that Proto 157 would have felt a little long for you as an equivalent SL would have been around 160cm long.

Ignore "Never Summer board ride longer" maxim as it is too vague to be useful (different Never Summer boards ride differently).

The dampness meter is a relative indicator of how much the board will soak up bumps, vibrations and chatter for you - giving you a smoother ride.

Me riding the 2009 SL 155 last season, which I used as a 50/50 park/freeride board (if I was doing mainly freeriding... I would have gone a little longer or gotten the Heritage or Raptor, although those boards didn't exist back in 2009)
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Ok thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the SL

Binarypie - would you not use the board at all in pow? I saw the description of the Legacy on Never Summers page and it says it would work in powder as well and it's just a wider version of SL with a little more flex. Wouldn't that mean SL would work as well? I also have my reverse camber Burton board - would I use that for powder days instead

Lone rider - I plan to do a cleansing between now and mid January. Losing 20lbs won't be an issue. 155 in that case?
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 172
Default

The Proto CT sure as hell isn't a "park board".

I got one and it's a mountain slayer. Can't even imagine what the SL would be like.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 44
Default

just got a proto ct and its sexayyy
ArmyOfSkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beschatten View Post
The Proto CT sure as hell isn't a "park board".

I got one and it's a mountain slayer. Can't even imagine what the SL would be like.
Ok fine - park / freestyle? Its still more geared for the park than it is for everything else?

What have you guys been riding and what size for your build
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Ok fine - park / freestyle? Its still more geared for the park than it is for everything else?

What have you guys been riding and what size for your build
157 proto, 6'3 200lbs, size 11 boots.

the only thing that makes people claim it's geared for park is it's twin, carbonium sheet, and blunted edges. if i was on a 160 ct i could charge HARD.

and i already charge hard.

the board is damp dude. even for my weight. you even said so yourself. i dig the graphics on it more than the sl, and i like the twin more than directional. it really doesn't matter which one you get. i wouldnt go sl since buttering would suck nuts on it. if i went evo, i'd go a 154. a proto i'd go 154.

fuck the skate banana. and instead of the machete, i would get get the ride buckwild instead.

Last edited by Beschatten; 12-15-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beschatten View Post
157 proto, 6'3 200lbs, size 11 boots.

the only thing that makes people claim it's geared for park is it's twin, carbonium sheet, and blunted edges. if i was on a 160 ct i could charge HARD.

and i already charge hard.
I'm 150 and ride a 155 Heritage... if you think a 160 proto would be a hard charger at 200lbs..... I can't imagine what you would think of a heritage Proto is definitely at the playful end of the NS scale (demo'd one last weekend). Rode a SL last year and thought it was great all mountain deck!!!!

Lonerider is spot on with his recommendation!

Last edited by Chef Jer; 12-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Ok thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the SL

Binarypie - would you not use the board at all in pow? I saw the description of the Legacy on Never Summers page and it says it would work in powder as well and it's just a wider version of SL with a little more flex. Wouldn't that mean SL would work as well? I also have my reverse camber Burton board - would I use that for powder days instead

Lone rider - I plan to do a cleansing between now and mid January. Losing 20lbs won't be an issue. 155 in that case?
So long as you don't gain the wait back after your "cleansing". Yes al 155 then.

Binarypie was referring to his proto ct which has blunted tips, because the tips are shorter and now as upturned urge board will not plow up and over powder as easily. (Oops... misread his post on my phone.). The SL is decent in powder (better than most boards), but it can't really compete with a dedicated powder board either.

Beschatten means jib board. I own both the proto ct 154 and a SL 155. The CT is more freestyle oriented and pretty playful (I've demoed the 2012 Evo 153 as well).

The SL/Legacy is a bit more hard charging... next is the Heritage, then the Premier, and finally the Raptor. The Proto CT is actually the second most playful board next to the Evo/Revolver. The fact that there are the majority of Never Summer's boards are more free oriented than the Proto CT probably just blew Beschatten's young mind

Last edited by lonerider; 12-15-2011 at 02:05 AM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums