Newbie.. please help me pick a set up - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie.. please help me pick a set up

Hey there guys,

just signed up and read the awesome stickies, it was a ton of help!

quick background:

I used to ski quite a bit till moving to Florida 6 years ago. Im moving to Colorado next month and want to get set up with a snowboard outfit as I think Im done with skiing. Ive never boarded, but I know I will love it as Im an avid longboarder out here in the warm weather and I absolutely loved skiing so Im definitely into winter sports (Pretty much the main reason im moving out there)

Ive done a ton of research on specs and what not, but cant narrow it down to a particular board or two.

I know this is the board sub forum but if you can recommend some bindings to go with the board that would be great!

Info:

Weight: 185-190
Boot size: Not sure but I typically wear a 13.5 gym shoe, im thinking im a size 13 boot.
Riding style: Im looking for an all mountain or all mountain freestyle board. definitely gonna start slow but I know myself and I'll be in the terrain park messing around once I get the basics down.
Age 29
budget pretty limited, looking to get into a board and some bindings for around 5-600
Your location of riding: colorado mountains, mostly A-basin and probably hit up the fancy resorts a few times a year.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
kleraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Still a newbie here but size 13 boot you should look into mid-wide to wide boards. Get sized in a shop for your boot size. I wear an 11 shoe and was able to squeeze into a a size 10 boot but ended up getting a 10.5 for more comfort. For some people/companies the size difference between your shoe and boot size is more drastic so it is good to try on in person.
ace9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

from what ive read its looking like even mid wide is too small. I think i need a wide. I read from a sticky on here that I need at least a 26.5 waist...

From my limited research I think that never summer heritage X would be a good fit. Just need to find a good price on one.

But I'd like to hear all of your suggestions guys!

Jim
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Since you said you had a budget of maybe $600 max? i would say to check out some rome wide boards. Rome makes some great decks..ive been nothing but happy with my 2010 rome graft. i think rome makes some of the best lower budget boards imo.

out of the wide rome boards, id probly suggest the reverb wide or the reverb rocker wide, which are both $400. and for the bindings, rome makes good bindings too and id also check out some of burtons bindings as well as unions or flux's.

if i were you, id try to stay away from spending more then about $420 on just the board for what you're looking for..theres no reason to drop $600 on a board when your just starting out.

ill also say that the NS boards are freakin awesome, but that awesomeness is unneeded for someone just starting out snowboarding. plus they are pretty expensive, and if you want pretty good bindings that will put you pretty far over your budget
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Parmz,

Yep just looked up the prices and I definitely cant afford that right now. Maybe next season i'll pick up a used one

So you say to check out the Rome's huh? Will do man, gonna check that out now.

Thanks a lot for the help, keep it coming guys!

Jim
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok the reverb wide and reverb rocker wide seem pretty cool.

Good price too.

Whats the difference between the two? Ive read about rocker, but still not quite grasping the concept.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

arbor blacklist or westmark with some flux tt30s or sf45s
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

blacklist and westmark seem like awesome boards but i think that the waist is too small for my feet no? I wear most likely a 13 boot, possibly a 13.5.....

what are your thoughts on that?

Also, I saw some Nitro Magnum demo's that I can get for 200 bucks, would that be a good starter board?

Jim
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
blacklist and westmark seem like awesome boards but i think that the waist is too small for my feet no? I wear most likely a 13 boot, possibly a 13.5.....

what are your thoughts on that?

Also, I saw some Nitro Magnum demo's that I can get for 200 bucks, would that be a good starter board?

Jim
blacklist is a midwide plus it has griptech which are little bumps right at your boots. Best bet is to find one locally and check
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

sounds good, ill check those out when I get out there!

What will the bumps help with? Raising my feet off the board so width matters less?