K2\Ride snowboard edge technology, where's their version of magnetraction? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default K2\Ride snowboard edge technology, where's their version of magnetraction?

I'm really likeing the fact that starting this year K2 is putting Bamboo in more of their higher end boards and offering a 5 year break warranty, I'm a big believer in Bamboo as a perfect materiel for snowboards cores.

To me a perfect combo in technology is the K2 Bamboo core mixed with Ride's slimeball sidewalls , but without some kind of "Magnatraxion" edge technology I'm really wavering on even looking at new K2\Ride boards for my next purchase after I retire my 2010 TurboDream to a late\early season rock board.

So when is K2 and\or Ride going to implement some kind of magnetraction\Vario\Frostbite like edge technology?

thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its a nice thing to have but not a deal breaker. Not sure about you, but I only have a handful of days on ice. Snowboarders and skiers have been riding for years on ice with normal edges.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bamboo worked great for over 4 years for the long board that I use to skate with and scraped the crap out of from flexing it and using it as a trampoline while skating.
orangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Its a nice thing to have but not a deal breaker. Not sure about you, but I only have a handful of days on ice. Snowboarders and skiers have been riding for years on ice with normal edges.

Until this year(In Utah) I would tend to agree with you but after riding the gf's GNU I really am feeling the benefit of magnetraction.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's one of those things. A straight edge is easier to tune, the magne-traction/vario stuff is difficult to tune. Especially if you are tuning your own edges(There are ways to tune them, im just saying ease of simple tuning). I like to think my freshly tuned flat edges will hold their own versus a less-often tuned magnetraction board(i tune my board every week in preparation for 3 days of riding on the weekend). Although i have no proof to back this, just feel from lots of riding. Though it would not stop me from buying a vario cut board, its a small point worth making.
ShredTaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTaos View Post
It's one of those things. A straight edge is easier to tune, the magne-traction/vario stuff is difficult to tune. Especially if you are tuning your own edges(There are ways to tune them, im just saying ease of simple tuning). I like to think my freshly tuned flat edges will hold their own versus a less-often tuned magnetraction board(i tune my board every week in preparation for 3 days of riding on the weekend). Although i have no proof to back this, just feel from lots of riding. Though it would not stop me from buying a vario cut board, its a small point worth making.
For a normal\reg camber board I would tend to agree but I really feel like reverse camber boards need some kind of edge enhancement to give you that normal camber type level of grip on hard surfaces.

Hopefully we start getting some real snowfall amounts here soon and I won't have to think about it anymore :-(
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

the thing is, its not anything like that. i can detune the quadratic/mag alot and still feel like im on rails and with regular sidecut i just have to choose detuned for the odd box and whatever or most grip possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTaos View Post
I like to think my freshly tuned flat edges will hold their own versus a less-often tuned magnetraction board
SuperRalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

K2 has a 12 radii sidecut. Those micro changes in the radius while not seen by the normal eye do the trick.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
K2 has a 12 radii sidecut. Those micro changes in the radius while not seen by the normal eye do the trick.
First off thanks for the reply, BA how would YOU compare the feel(on a hard surface) of the "12 radii sidecut" in comparison to something like Magnetraction or NS Vario edges? thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Sidecut Theories Explained
That should break it down for you. Magnetraction is best summed up as too much of a good thing while RC tech grips right underfoot like all alternate cambered decks should. K2's it just feels like riding a snowboard no gimmicks.