Mom needs help purchasing a snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mom needs help purchasing a snowboard

I am trying to buy a snowboard for my 15 year old son. He is on the short side (he comes by it naturally, smile). He is 5'6" and weighs 122 pounds. He's pretty strong as he is a water polo player. We are having difficulty finding a board in a 147 -148 length. He is an intermediate to advanced rider. Until last year he was mostly a freerider. But, he has started moving into freestyle and the park. We were looking at the Gnu Rider's Choice or the NS Proto CT. However, the smallest these boards come in is 151 or 152. The weight range for the Gnu is 100-160 (or 170). While NS does not provide a weight range chart, Evo has one for NS boards on their site. It shows 110-160 for the Proto. I am worried that the boards are too long. If they are, are there comparable boards out there that are smaller? Any advice or suggestions would help!!!! Thanks!
mbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

At 15 years old, I assume he still has some growing to do in both height and weight. I think a Proto CT in a 152 would be fine considering his current height/weight and will be something he can ride for a few years. There is not a tremendous difference between 148 and a 152.

Good luck, wish that when I was 15 my mom was looking to buy me a board!
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

at that low weight he could probably even use a softer board like the ns evo to bomb hills with, which is available in smaller sizes.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It looks like to me the boards you are considering are within the weight range for your son. The lengths are fine.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

If hes more into riding park check out:
DC PBJ 149
Stepchild Jibstick 148
Stepchild Latchkey 148, more flexy board for his lighter weight
Arbor Draft 147
Burton Blunt 147

IMO those are some of the best park boards.

Good Luck!
NinjaSteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I'd go with either of those. At 122 they're not going to be unmanageable, plus he can grow into them and use them for freeriding as well.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarton View Post
I am trying to buy a snowboard for my 15 year old son. He is on the short side (he comes by it naturally, smile). He is 5'6" and weighs 122 pounds. He's pretty strong as he is a water polo player. We are having difficulty finding a board in a 147 -148 length. He is an intermediate to advanced rider. Until last year he was mostly a freerider. But, he has started moving into freestyle and the park. We were looking at the Gnu Rider's Choice or the NS Proto CT. However, the smallest these boards come in is 151 or 152. The weight range for the Gnu is 100-160 (or 170). While NS does not provide a weight range chart, Evo has one for NS boards on their site. It shows 110-160 for the Proto. I am worried that the boards are too long. If they are, are there comparable boards out there that are smaller? Any advice or suggestions would help!!!! Thanks!
My advice from a former son 'hoping' his dad would get the right one is to put store credit at an awesome shop where the lad can choose between a few different boards in his size range. With certain gifts, it's not wise to just wrap and stick under the tree, especially considering the $$$. Maybe I was a selfish kid, but I would think he's gonna prefer picking out 'his' new board.

Or you can take the chance that he opens it up and hates the flex, colour, graphics, etc, etc. Unless you know his exact style of riding. If he's like me, he'll be 'more' happy that he got to choose his own board and in the end you're only getting the board for your kid's happiness. But that's just how my family works - don't waste $$$ by guessing what someone else likes, lol. We all for the most part pick out our own gifts at Christmas time and in doing so nearly everything given is exactly what's needed/wanted. I did come from a 'poor' family growing up though, so when we got Christmas gifts, it was pretty much all we got all year long, unless it was a bag of chips or new t-shirt if lucky.

Not sure your scenario with $$$, but if you don't have much cash, you might wanna take the safe route and bring him along at the very least.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all! I wish I could find a shop to take him to. We are in San Diego and all of the shops we have visited do not have a good selection in his size. Thank you again!!!
mbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

You are a nice Mother, in fact, for your son, any christmas gift will make him happy in my opinion. Wish you find the suitable board soon. Merry Christmas
yupgift2u is offline   Reply With Quote