High speeds vs. tight turns? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High speeds vs. tight turns?

So I'm looking to get a new board for this year, and my main goals for this season are to get better at riding faster, and also at trees and moguls. From all the research I've done it seems like it's better to have a long, stiff board for speed and a short, flexible board for tighter turns. I'm also not sure how board shape factors in, although from reading reviews it seems like I should go with some sort of hybrid.

Anyway, I was wondering if based on these things anyone had any recommendations as far as either specific boards or just general specs/technologies I should look for. For reference, I'm 5'9", 150 pounds, budget not an issue. Right now I'm looking at the YES Jackpot which looks like it could be great in trees, but I'm worried how it will hold up if I try for speed.

Thanks!
danben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by danben View Post
So I'm looking to get a new board for this year, and my main goals for this season are to get better at riding faster, and also at trees and moguls. From all the research I've done it seems like it's better to have a long, stiff board for speed and a short, flexible board for tighter turns. I'm also not sure how board shape factors in, although from reading reviews it seems like I should go with some sort of hybrid.

Anyway, I was wondering if based on these things anyone had any recommendations as far as either specific boards or just general specs/technologies I should look for. For reference, I'm 5'9", 150 pounds, budget not an issue. Right now I'm looking at the YES Jackpot which looks like it could be great in trees, but I'm worried how it will hold up if I try for speed.

Thanks!
The first thing you should do is look at as many board companies sites as you can.Every company has there own little form of tech,Be it magna traction of the Lib's or TBT of Batalion.After you decide wich company you wanna ride then look at the models intended for what you want.Im kind of a nub myself but I would personally would look at a stiffer cambered board if you looking for that stability at high speeds.BUT I am pretty much the same size as you and I have the NS EVO.Its a hybrid twin shaped park monster..although our resort isnt completely open yet(the big hills are green)I have pushed this thing on the hills available and have been impressed.It was very icy today and the slopes where really messed up..everything from mashed potatoes to soft ball size chunks of ice..And she just ate it up..I couldnt believe it,,,This board isnt a noodle,but def isnt stiff...Not making a recommendation..but def look around.

And the Evo is A beast...And I ride a 154 in that..But I also used a 158 and the bigger board def helps.

Last edited by ll IrOn CiTy ll; 12-17-2011 at 01:19 AM.
ll IrOn CiTy ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by danben View Post

Thanks!
Hi Danben,

One key factor in finding what shape and length of turn a board "wants" to do is sidecut. The depth and shape of the sidecut is how board designers contol turn radius. On most manufacturer websites, they will give you the radius for the full circle "turn" that any given board and size will make. The smaller the radius, the tighter the turn. Other sidecut factors that can shape the turn are variations to a constant radius sidecut (i.e. progressive, regressive, biradial...). I would say a good way to begin is to look at short radius boards and then read the manufacturer descriptions of what those decks were designed for.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote