My Custom Worries Me!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Werk One

Question My Custom Worries Me!!

Let me start by saying that I am fairly new to the snowboarding scene and I had just started Jan of '08. I can say that I picked up pretty quickly using the rentals (after a few falls, and was able to carve decently, basically do all the normal stuff. So I decided to purchase some gear of my own to save me the trouble of always having to rent stuff. There was this deal online for an '08Burton Custom 154 (I'm 170 lbs. BTW)with Burton Mission bindings. My buddy says it's a great deal so I bought it. I took it to the slopes and all I can say is that it felt kinda awkward to the point where wasn't sure if I would be able to ride the thing down the mountain. I ate it a couple times and my friend says that the board is very responsive and stiffer than the rentals. It may have also been the stance positioning and width. So my concern is would I still be able to learn on this board or will it hinder my progress with snowboarding? Is the board a good length for my weight? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

As much as people would disagree,I dont really see the weight issue.Unless you 200lbs reiding a 147.Im 195lbs and I ride a 155 and 154 without problem.When I first started I rode a 157 K2 and had issues turning,maybe cause the stiffness.I wouls check your stance try not to be to narrow(shoulder width is good).
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

i weigh 175 and i ride a 154 burton board and i do just fine. the length is definately not an issue. 154 is a very normal length for your weight
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Werk One

Default Thnks

Welp, that's kinda reassuring to know. The only thing is to give it another try and probably mess with the stance width and position. I dread coming down with another case of blueberry butt-cheeks if you know what I mean. Another thing I wanted to know is how do you overcome the responsiveness of the board? Do you have to ride it more aggressively or is it something you just learn to handle over time?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The length of the board all depends on the style of riding and what you need it for. It should be a good length for most riding, especailly freestyle, but is probably a bit small for really fast riding or powder...but not a real problem. It definately wont make it harder to learn...probably easier.

I'm willing to bet that you are just struggling with the stiffness and responsivness of the board compared to the cheap boards you probably learned on while renting. This may slow your learning curve a bit, but shouldn't hurt at all in the long run. Eventually you will be a better rider becasue of it.

Stiffer, more responsive boards just make you use better technique. The soft boards allow for more mistakes and let you use sloppy technique, but won't allow you to progress as much.

Give it a day or two and you will be right back where you were before. I got a new board this year and it took me about half a day to adjust, and I've been riding for several years. You'll love the custom real soon...enjoy!
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Werk One

Thumbs up Whheeeew!!

THat's definitely a breath of fresh air for me! Thanks for the positive input people. I know now that the Custom is initially for intermediate-advanced riders so I was just afraid that I was in over my head in getting it with me being in a beginner-intermediate level. I mean, $325 for the board and bindings seemed like a deal I couldn't pass up. It would be nice to be able to handle it well with more experience. Such a sick board too!! Love the graphics!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most rentals are just that, rentals. Beat up, dull edges, etc etc.

The custom is a directional freestyle board. Basically it's got a directional core, very slight directional shape, but it's still got plenty of flex and pop for freestyle, and an almost centered stance. With the size you choose, as schmitty said, you are fine. The board will feel alittle softer for you than someone who is 150# though. Keep in mind the Custom isn't a super stiff freeride deck, Burton makes the Custom X for that. The custom is just a good at everything, all mountain board.

As for your stance, you've got your own board now Play around with your stance and make it comfortable for YOU! That's one of the huge perks to owning a board as a beginner.

The two things you are going to want to set are the stance width, and binding angles.

Stance width is the distance between the center of the binding plates. If you installed your bindings in the holes that are marked as the 'reference marks' you're probably at around 20-21". This is fine for most, but if you're a little taller, you may like something around 22-23 for the additional stability. If you widen your stance, do it equal with the front and back binding so that your stance stays centered over the sidecut. Wider = more stability at the cost of easier turn intiation. Narrower is visa versa.

Secondly you want to you look at your binding angles, most boards that you rent are probably set at something like 15* Front/ -3* Back. Which is actually a pretty good stance to start with for someone who just freerides. If you ever plan on riding switch much, you might want to duck the back foot out a bit more, and prefer something like -6 or -9* for the back binding. It's all up to you to decide what feels right

Other than that, as schmitty said, it just takes time to get used to your new board.

I rode a Never Summer for most of the year, and I couldn't resit a killer deal on custom 162 about a month ago. It took me a couple runs to get used to how the board felt, but after that I love it. The trouble is, I feel like I'm cheating on my never summer, cause I love it too.......but that's another story
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Stance is deffinetly something to play with.I ride 24inches on my GNU and 25 on my Blunt.Duck stance is the way to go for me, my stance in 9 degrees front and back.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Werk One

Now I'm really looking forward to next weekend when I take it to Bear Mountain over here in CA. I'm gonna be spending alot of time with that screwdriver trying to find the right chemistry with the board. I apprectiate the wealth of information and positive input that has been shared by you folks. I will definitely be more determined to "ride the board" and not have the board ride me. hahaha!!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
megladan

i have got a burton custom 167 wide and im 215, love every minute im on that board =] friend has a 162 burton custom and he loves his..