Is board the right size for kid in lesson - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is board the right size for kid in lesson

This season, my 10 y.o. skier wants to snowboard--he's taken two "first timer" snowboard lessons in the past two seasons so he's still a beginner.

I'm thinking he can use his big bro's outgrown board and bindings. He has his own boots.

The board is a 08 Burton Custom Smalls 131. The recommended weight is 65-120 lbs. If he were renting, I'd probably put him on a smaller board, but I'd rather have him use his own gear if he can so we don't have to deal with the whole rental thing at the mtn. He is 65 lbs., 4' 4", size 4 youth boot.

For comparison, the Custom Smalls 120 has a weight range of 45-85 lb, and the 125 has a weight range of 50-95 lb.

If I send him into a group lesson with this gear, will I get a speech from the instructor about how his board is too big and holding up his progression? Outside of a lesson, I'm sure he'll be fine adapting to whatever size gear he has. It's just in the lesson, I want to make sure he has the right size gear.

Thanks.
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow it's amazing how kids differ in size at this age, my 10 yr old (just turned at the end of Sept) is 5'1" and 110 lbs and wears adult size 7.5 shoes.

But back to your question...I don't think that board is out of line. I had my son on a 131 Burton Chopper 2 seasons ago when he started. The Chopper is a bit softer flex though (top end of weight range is 110 lbs). Honestly I would say let him use his big bros board unless it is obviously an issue (ask after the first lesson).
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

@Grasschopper, yeah, my boys are pretty small. Even big bro who is 13 is smaller than your 10 y.o., although he wears adult size 9 shoes so he'll be growing more soon, hopefully.

Thanks for your advice.
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote