Intermediate Snowboard Recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Intermediate Snowboard Recommendation

Hi guys, first time here, sorry if this post is not in the right category. I was brought in by a snowboard purchase thread and people are very friendly and helpful here, so I thought I''d give it a try.
I am trying to buy a snowboard, as I have been stupidly renting snowboards every time I go snowboard in the past few years (10+ at least). This year I decided I will not let the rentals suck on my money anymore, and would like to invest on a board, boots, and bindings.
My personal info:

Riding style: Regular, freerider/all mountain (bit of everything, include practice in the park)
Riding level: Intermediate
Height: 5''5
Weight: 155lbs
Calculated snowboard size: L -151-153cm (152 recommended), W - 248-254mm (250mm recommended)
Shoe size: Men''s 10
Budget: Ideally within $300, but as I would like to have this package to last for its purpose for a while, I am willing to chip in more for performance and quality.
I understand my budget may be a bit unreasonable, and I was wondering if I would be able to get something out of a Snow Jam Megasale that is coming to Del Mar, south California in Jan 12-14?
If more info is needed, please let me know. I love snowboarding and would like to take the step to make something personal. Thank you all very much for your help.
JackyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I doubt you could even find a second hand setup for $300......
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have seen many discounted packages for below 300. I was just wondering what are some setups with good reviews. Plus, I mentioned that its not a hard budget.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I can't speak for the bindings that are offered but I have the Sierra Crew (now trusnow.com) and I really like the board. Durability is an issue however, especially the top sheet.

A package from them (board and bindings) will go about $350.

It might be easier to decide what you want -- versus what you want to spend -- and go from there.

Another suggestion would be to check out "non-traditional" retailers. I don't think of REI as a snowboard store but have gotten great prices there in the past.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Sangster, I am looking at the Sierra Crew right now also, and it looks like a nice board. I agree with what you said on deciding what I want, but what are some questions I should ask myself when answering that? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

backcountry.com has some snowboards for cheap. BA likes the Omatic decks and last I checked there were some going for the low $200s which may leave enough for a pair of bindings to total $300 - $350.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

My advice would be - seeing as you've already spent (....wasted) say 10 weeks at $100 p/w rental - spend that on your setup!!!

I guess you must be pretty ok by now after 70+ days riding so why not get something to match your level of skill? If I had $300 to spend on a setup I wouldn't even consider buying new - I would be looking for something a few years old with some advanced technology for it's time. In the main people are turning to rockers and hybrid rockers.

Lib Tech, Never Summer, Arbor, and Bataleon have grip technologies that people here rave about. Do you do much park really? I think it's easy to forget what your true love is when buying because you want your board to be able to do everything - but it can't - so pick one that can do your favourite things best of all!

If you mainly bomb groomers and POW runs and only dabble in the park then get something more heavily focussed on charging (directional/directional twin) i.e. Never Summer Heritage (for one). If you want a board to revolutionise your park riding and take you away from the groomers get a soft twin.... Signal Park Rocker....

From what you have said (taking in the park laps too) I would recommend an Arbor Westmark/Blacklist or Never Summer Proto CT or Bataleon Evil Twin or one of those Savage Horsepower Lib Tech boards (they look evil), maybe but these are all more than $300 themselves I'm guessing!

Problem is you get what you pay for....
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
backcountry.com has some snowboards for cheap. BA likes the Omatic decks and last I checked there were some going for the low $200s which may leave enough for a pair of bindings to total $300 - $350.
I think boots were supposed to be in the price range too....

(Heard good things about the Omatic Extr Txtr if you can find one)

Last edited by syphabiscuit; 12-19-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: To give me superpowers
syphabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyLin View Post
I have seen many discounted packages for below 300. I was just wondering what are some setups with good reviews. Plus, I mentioned that its not a hard budget.
Whoops... sorry, when I PM'd you, I didn't realize you wanted to get an entire setup for $300 (I just thought you wanted a board). No... I would say 99.99% of the board, boots, and binding packages under $300 are not very good.

For once thing... your boots are REALLY important and they MUST FIT you PERFECTLY. I can safely say that it is ignorant or foolish to buy a boot that doesn't fit you well. Note I'm not saying that you have spend a lot money for a good fitting boot... my friend found boots for 93 cents (yes less than a dollar!) at an REI used goods sale that fit her great (best. buy. ever.) I'm just saying that out of 100 boot models, say only about 10 of them fit you well... what are the chances that exact boot is going to be in a snowboard package AND be in a snowboard package for less than $300. I'd say you have better chances buying a lottery ticket.

Since everyone's foot is shaped different, it is difficult/impossible to know what boot will fit you a priori. I like Nitro boots because I have super skinny ankles and my heel lifts in any other brand boot (Burton, Salomon, 32, etc)... so Go to a store... try a lot of boots... find the one that fits you perfectly. It should be snugly touching every part of your foot (no roomy areas) including the front of your toes (touching, but not curled/knuckled). The liner will pack out half a size with a few days use and your toes automatically receded a bit if you are bending your knees properly. Flex the boots (squat in a snowboard stance) and make sure there are no areas that pinch or pressure point you (it will be 100 times worse when you are snowboarding... so if you feel it in the shop, that boot is not for you). Ok... now buy that boot what model, cost, lacing system, etc it has... nothing else is as important as fit (go ahead and see if you can get the boot cheap online as well... but you have to go to an actual shop and try boots first).

If you have money leftover... buy a cheap board (152-156 length) and bindings (anything that can fits your boot well)... as the boots are the most important factor in giving you good performance is your boots.
If you don't, rent a board and bindings... Seriously... I understand you want to have great equipment and not spend a lot (who doesn't?)... but you admit that you've been "stupidly" (quoting your own post) wasting hundreds of dollars renting your gear, don't be stupid and try to skimp on buying the properly fitting boots. So pay now... or your feet will pay on the mountain.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-19-2011 at 10:56 AM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

that was some very useful advice, and great recommendations by different users. Thank you all so much. I will be trying out new boots to find the best one for me. What are some used boards/bindings that you guys would suggests for my purpose? There were suggestions on Never Summer Heritage, Proto CT, Bataleon Evil Twin(I only mentioned these since they have sizes that fit me), I was wondering if there are past year models that are similar and would make good used board purchases? Thank you!