Quick Question on Board Length - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zoolander

Default Quick Question on Board Length

I am 34yrs old, 190lbs, 6'2.5", and ski maybe 10 days a year. I just purchased a Burton King 158 a few hours ago. I am concerned I should have purchased the King 162 due to my size. I don't spend much time at the park but just enjoying the entire resort.
Should I go back and see if they will exchange it for the King 162??? Or will I not even really notice the difference?

Thanks,
zoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zoolander

Snowolf-Thanks for the info. I went back and returned the 158 for the 162. I feel much better about the change. Too bad your not an instructor in Park City. My wife and I are looking for one.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
Too bad your not an instructor in Park City.
I think most new boarders who read these forums (me included) wish SnoWolf was an instructor on their hill!

I am 6'1" 175lbs and started with a 162 this season. It was a good choice for me. Next season I am expanding to a 155 to complement, not replace my current board. As a beginner, the 162 made me work a little harder to learn turns, but I think it helped long term.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
AAA

I'm also 34, and hit 185# at 5'6". Been riding mostly crowded PA resorts for the last 18 years. I ride alpine boards almost entirely, the shortest at 178, and only occassionally break out my soft setup. If I ever decide to replace my 163 freeride board (I weighed "a little less" when I bought it ), I'll be looking for something longer, in the neighborhood of 170cm. My 163, stiff as it is, isn't enough for me. It loose edges too easily and the nose is prone to folding and vaulting me over the handlebars if I get aggressive in half decent snow. For me, longer boards cut through crap alot better, have better edge hold, significantly less chatter, and handle speed much better. The only cost is losing some degree of ease in skidding turns (not carving), and tweakage for park/pipe stuff, which I rarely mess with.

If you're starting out, the 162 will probably work great. I think with your height / weight, as you get more experienced (or if you already are experienced) and if you focus mostly on freeriding, you may eventually want a longer board. In any case, I think switching up to the longer board for starters, was a good move.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zoolander

AAA-Great insights. Thanks for the advice.