T.Rice, Billy Goat or SL - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default T.Rice, Billy Goat or SL

For an all around, all mountain board. I like to carve, ride groomers, hit natural jumps...don't go in the park much.
Riding for a few years, old board was a 159 burton custom

I was previously decided on the SL but not sure now.

The board would be in the 157-157 range.

Thoughts for the perfect all mountain weapon for me? Or another suggestion?
Canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All three would be good for what you are looking for. Full disclosure, I have only ridden the TRice (I own last year's 161.5) but I can still give you my thoughts on the differences.

TRice Ė Pretty stiff so it will be more aggressive and more stable. True twin so it will be better for switch riding if you are centered, but may not have as good of powder float if not set back. Iím 6í4 210 and have no problem riding deep powder on my 161.5 so it still works well as a powder board and is a great all mountain slayer for an aggressive rider.

Billy Goat Ė very similar to the TRice from what I can tell. The major difference would be that it is a directional twin with a little set back.

SL Ė Neversummer has a great rep so their boards must be good. The SL isnít as stiff as the TRice so it wonít be as aggressive and stable, but will be a little more playful. I think the Legacy, or probably the Heritage are closer comparisons to the Rice or the Billy Goat. I compared the Rice and the Heritage side-by-side at the shot when I bought the Rice and they have a similar flex. Another main difference between the Rice and the Billy Goat is that they have MTX and Neversummers do not. Thatís not a bad thing, just a matter of preference. Some people like MTX and some donít. I think MTX is pretty good, but it can be a little grippy at times. Neversummer has vario grip which helps with edge hold but I have heard it isnít as grippy as MTX.

In conclusion, if you want something pretty stiff and aggressive, go with the Rice/Billy Goat or consider the NS Heritage. If you want something a little softer, go with the SL or look at the Lib TRS or the GNU Riders Choice.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

about the playfullness you will get two points of view on that. I have only ridden the SL not a newer TRice. But some feel the increased dampness of the SL inhibits playfulness.

Just throwing that out there.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm big on directional set back boards unless you spend allot of time riding switch or in the park, good luck and have fun.