Helmets? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
hurtbirdbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post
If you need to ask, you probably don't need one

I may not and that's whay I ask.. Im just looking to have a nice chill ride for now.. however i had my r6 and after i got comfy on that everytime i was one rte 3 i wanted to ride 150 plus. Hopefully I've matured
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtbirdbath View Post
do you guys wear em? sometimes, all the time?
yes and always.

it takes just one good smack for your melon to become a cabbage.

for me, the odds of smacking your head are pretty good... after all a snowboard allows you to go pretty fast in an environment of bullet proof ice and rocks.

talk about swimming with sharks!

better to have and not need than need and not have. IMO
Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
livelyjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
better to have and not need than need and not have. IMO
That's the best way to put it. Other good points are they are warm and they don't get wet. Typically they aren't that expensive either.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

^^^ that term goes in thanx to christian slater in true romance, when regarding the uses of packing a gun when off to a bidnis meeting.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE BFLO View Post
Every time out. I've smacked my head on the ice err..uh I mean snow quite a few times and it's saved me. Also it's warmer than a hat. If it's snowing out I don't have to deal with a wet lid. Also when I wore a hat and put my goggles up on my head they would always fog up. I don't have that problem with the goggles on top of the helmet. OH yeah and my helmet has a strap to keep my goggles from landing 20 feet down the slope when I bail.
AND you can listen to music, AND you have more places to put stickers! YAY FOR HELMETS!

Seriouslly, he lists some major advantages to a helemet, aside from the saftey element. It's also not only yourself that helmets can save you from. I've seen some NASTY collisions in my time cuased by people who were totally out of control.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
hurtbirdbath

pretty overwhelming consencus . Im going to aspen for a week at the end of March and this will be my 2nd time out this year(and in 20 yrs). Soemthing about the freedom of no helmet appeals to me but tought to argue it.so I think I will buy one and start out without it and see what happens and if I am going to get aggressive then I will wear it.

how come skiers don't wear them?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
pretty overwhelming consencus . Im going to aspen for a week at the end of March and this will be my 2nd time out this year(and in 20 yrs). Soemthing about the freedom of no helmet appeals to me but tought to argue it.so I think I will buy one and start out without it and see what happens and if I am going to get aggressive then I will wear it.

how come skiers don't wear them?

(1) Your feet are strapped in and your talking about feelings of "freedom?" Irony isn't dead.

(2) Remeber, as has been pointed out, there are advantages to them beyond your own level of aggressiveness.

(3) Skiers: Many do. However, I also think that snowboarders have a higher chance of hitting their head than skiers becuase of two things; being strapped in, the sideways stance. When skiers go down, they often go down on their side. When snowboarders go down, they (usually) either go face first, or fall on their back. As a result, your knees/chest/face, or ass/shoulders/back-of-head often take the brunt of the fall. Hence, much great chance for whiplash and knocking your head.

-The White Rose Society

Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
pretty overwhelming consencus ... I think I will buy one and start out without it and see what happens and if I am going to get aggressive then I will wear it.
Another yes and always. And if you start out wearing a helmet, you will never know the difference. And starting out has the nastiest edge-catch falls. I have bounced my head off ice several times--it hurt with the helmet, so I cannot imagine without.

As to consensus, maybe in this thread (full of enlightened baorders), but it is not matched on the hill (unwashed heathen masses). I see few other helmets out there.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
TNT

Undeniable all inclusive without a doubt yes - wear a helmet. I wore a heavy ABS monstrosity my first season that weighed about 3 pounds. My neck hurt everytime I went riding. I upgrade to a smith holt this year - much lighter and easier to ride with but still good protection. All I can say is that without either helmet I would have definitely brained myself already.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanShea View Post
As to consensus, maybe in this thread (full of enlightened baorders), but it is not matched on the hill (unwashed heathen masses). I see few other helmets out there.

In live MA, and I ride a motorcycle. When I am in NH or RI, almost no one rides a bike with a helmet, for there are no helmet laws. I am not one of these people. Thus, consensus alone may have little merrit. To steal a line from Obama, this is where judgment wins out over consensus and experience. In this case, the concenus/experience being the choice to not wearing a helmet, or having most of the people around you not wearing one...be it on motorcycle, or snowboard.

-The White Rose Society