New freeride board wanted - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New freeride board wanted

feel free to chime in here;

I'm 6'0, 150 lbs with no gear on, size 9 boot
I've been riding casually for 15 years making a couple big trips a year out to Alberta/BC mountains. I live for making hard, dynamic pencil thin carves, glade riding, and generally going pretty fast. Blues and Blacks..as long as there aren't any moguls, i'm all for it.
I practically never hit the park..if I do it's to hit the easier table tops- nothing serious. I'll pop off natural rollers/features fairly often, though.

I've gone from a '97 Burton Custom 155 that i loved to a 2009 Fish 156 with the s-rocker nose which i love even more. That thing is hella-fun in the trees and for hauling ass on groomed runs (go-figure!). I find it carves super well and has fantastic transitions from edge to edge..i can roll onto my back foot during a hard carve and launch myself onto the other edge..super lively transitions compaired to my old custom.

So far I find the fish to be a perfect on-the-ground board, however it's not great for popping off natural features, so I'd like to get something a little more versatile but still hard-carving like the fish. Something I can attack the steeper choppier stuff and just power through it with confidence.

I'm mostly familiar with burtons stuff, but i'm open to other brands. I think I'm most interested in a camber board, probably with a fair amount of taper.
Considering; a malolo, a custom X, something like that. A local shop guy suggested the nitro pantera as an all-mountain ripper.

what do you guys recommend? thanks!

Last edited by Jinjabeard; 12-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Jinjabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've been riding for ~20 years and have both the Custom x and Pantera (both from 10/11). The X is my daily and does everything I want it to. It carves hard, has great return energy, and a unique turn initiation. The Pantera is slightly stiffer and more freeride oriented. I like everything about the Pantera (flex, stability, dampening, etc...)but with one big exception. I got a wide, which is a few mm wider than my other freeride boards, and turn initiation/quick turning is so slow and difficult that I'm considering getting rid of it after just a few days of riding. So my advice would be to look at the width of standard Pantera as it's also a little wider than normal. It may or may not be an issue based on your foot size.

A difficult choice between the two.
SJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No taper, but a similar camber profile to your Fish, just far less aggressive and much less setback, take a look at the Ride Highlife UL. Seriously rails a turn and stays really smooth. When it comes to that board, pretty much everything ride tells you it does, it does. Crush through crud, easy in and out of turns, great edgehold, smoothy smooth, and with that little bit of rocker in the nose you get better float than traditional camber.

If powder is your main concern for this one, something with a little softer flex will actually snap better out of soft snow. Fluffy stuff doesn't give much to push on. And you don't want too much taper or setback for pow pops as well. Means you have less tail to push on all that fluffy stuff with.

You might also really like the Berzerker, similar to the Highlife but with one less pop rod and less carbon in the array. Basically take all that to mean it will still rail a turn and ride super smooth, but the pop will be easier to get to and will be a little easier to maneuver in the forests.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 12-20-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor A-frame is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.
The highlife ul would also be a great option.
If you want to try a rocker board the lib tech banana magic carves extremely well and is a true twin.
all three of those boards are very fast and powerful.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

sj10, nivek, riley; thanks for your responses! exactly what I was looking for. All of your suggestions look like they would suit me really well. wish i could ride'em all back to back. Thanks for the feedback on the pantera + customX, SJ10. that's awesome.

The Highlife and A-frame sound exactly like what I want, and the berzerker sounds just plain fun. Maybe it's what I want and don't even know it yet. My preferred local shop sells arbor and i'm sure someone around here sells ride. thanks again!
Jinjabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Salomon Burner is the answer. Fastest f'ing board ever and super damp
SnowSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjabeard View Post
sj10, nivek, riley; thanks for your responses! exactly what I was looking for. All of your suggestions look like they would suit me really well. wish i could ride'em all back to back. Thanks for the feedback on the pantera + customX, SJ10. that's awesome.

The Highlife and A-frame sound exactly like what I want, and the berzerker sounds just plain fun. Maybe it's what I want and don't even know it yet. My preferred local shop sells arbor and i'm sure someone around here sells ride. thanks again!
I love Arbor, but, I feel like they have spent most of their energy on their parky freestyle stick. Their all mountain boards kinda just blend into the market right around the middle.

Honestly for good prices and performance + cool tech, I don't really see anyone touching Ride. To find something as damp and smooth and responsive as the Highlife UL you end up with something heavier or more expensive.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote