Buying my first board..need advice! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying my first board..need advice!

Hey everyone..I've snowboarded for a few times last year and I am looking to buy my first board this season. I am still a beginner but I will be snowboarding a lot this season. I've been looking for a while and I am really interested in the 2011 Flow Venus from last season. I was wondering if anyone could help me decide if it's a good board for me. Here are some questions I have before I made my final decision:

1. Will a 143 board be too large for me? I am 5'5 and weigh 100 with a shoe size 6.5. I rode a 138 and a 145 before and I felt 138 was a lot easier to maneuver, but the website I was looking at only has a 143 board.

2. I will be snowboarding a lot this year so is it a board that I'm likely to grow out of quickly?

3. Since there are few reviews on this board, what are some disadvantages of this board?

4. My other options are:
2011 Burton Lux 139 (reduced camber, not V Rocker)
Sierra V Spot
2012 Flow Silhouette 144
Are those good boards for me compared to the flow venus? What are some other options? I have a budget around 250.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
eeendless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeendless View Post
Hey everyone..I've snowboarded for a few times last year and I am looking to buy my first board this season. I am still a beginner but I will be snowboarding a lot this season. I've been looking for a while and I am really interested in the 2011 Flow Venus from last season. I was wondering if anyone could help me decide if it's a good board for me. Here are some questions I have before I made my final decision:

1. Will a 143 board be too large for me? I am 5'5 and weigh 100 with a shoe size 6.5. I rode a 138 and a 145 before and I felt 138 was a lot easier to maneuver, but the website I was looking at only has a 143 board.

2. I will be snowboarding a lot this year so is it a board that I'm likely to grow out of quickly?

3. Since there are few reviews on this board, what are some disadvantages of this board?

4. My other options are:
2011 Burton Lux 139 (reduced camber, not V Rocker)
Sierra V Spot
2012 Flow Silhouette 144
Are those good boards for me compared to the flow venus? What are some other options? I have a budget around 250.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
1. No, my wife is 5'0" 95 lbs, with a 5.5 shoe size and rides a stiff 143 standard camber board (Prior Magestic). The video below is her riding that board during her third season of snowboarding (she gets about 10 days a year), she's pretty small and doesn't work out (she never goes to the gym and describes jogging as "torture")... but you can see she is handling that board without a problem down a decently steep slope.

Not familiar with the boards you listed so can't help much more than that.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-20-2011 at 06:46 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks that's good to know, and +1 to jogging is like torture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
1. No, my wife is 5'0" 95 lbs, with a 5.5 shoe size and rides a stiff 143 standard camber board (Prior Magestic). The video below is her riding that board during her third season of snowboarding (she gets about 10 days a year), she's pretty small and doesn't work out (she never goes to the gym and describes jogging as "torture")... but you can see she is handling that board without a problem down a decently steep slope.

Not familiar with the boards you listed so can't help much more than that.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm 108 lbs., and I ride a 145 with no problems, so I think you'll be fine on a 143. It'll probably be a better board in the long run than 138. I've also ridden 138 before. It's not a huge difference... you'll be fine on either. A 138 is probably a bit easier to turn, while a 143 feels more stable at higher speeds.

Lonerider, your wife seems to have good form! I'm jealous. Which resort is that?
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolulu View Post
Lonerider, your wife seems to have good form! I'm jealous. Which resort is that?
That is Kirkwood (Chair 4). She actually demanded that I teach her, which I initially didn't want to do as I think it's a bad idea for significant others to teach each other... but with a bit of patience, we managed to make it work. It's funny because my friend also taught his wife... and both our wives have hallmarks of our own riding styles.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
That is Kirkwood (Chair 4). She actually demanded that I teach her, which I initially didn't want to do as I think it's a bad idea for significant others to teach each other... but with a bit of patience, we managed to make it work. It's funny because my friend also taught his wife... and both our wives have hallmarks of our own riding styles.
On steeper runs I often end up skidding turns, and she doesn't seem to do that. She makes nice arc'ing turns

Chair 4 is always on wind hold when I go to Kirkwood

Sorry, back OT...

I don't know about Flow snowboards, but at least with the Burton Lux, I demo'ed a Burton Social with V-Rocker, and I do like Burton's version of Rocker more than say... Lib Tech's BTX.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolulu View Post
On steeper runs I often end up skidding turns, and she doesn't seem to do that. She makes nice arc'ing turns

Chair 4 is always on wind hold when I go to Kirkwood

Sorry, back OT...

I don't know about Flow snowboards, but at least with the Burton Lux, I demo'ed a Burton Social with V-Rocker, and I do like Burton's version of Rocker more than say... Lib Tech's BTX.
The thing is the burton lux is not a V rocker, it's just reduced camber (there are two versions of 2011's lux). I think I'll go with the flow venus. So excited to finally get my own board!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeendless View Post
The thing is the burton lux is not a V rocker, it's just reduced camber (there are two versions of 2011's lux). I think I'll go with the flow venus. So excited to finally get my own board!
If you're still around, how is the flow venus and what size did you get? Looking at getting my wife one as she doesn't want us to spend money, but it's cheap. Deciding 139 vs 143. She's also 108 and about 5'1"

Looking for something easy to turn but will let her progress to go faster later. Never ever going into the park
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote